HD580 pad substitute?
Dec 7, 2006 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

prona

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a B-stock HD580 for cheap from eBay. The ear cushions are almost completely flat and slightly ripped. It is very uncomfortable because the top of my ears are touching the driver covering. Sennheiser is charging 45 shipped for replacement pads. I think that's just way too much for some cloth and foam pads. It's more than half of what I paid for the cans! Does anyone know if there are other places to obtain replacement pads or if there are any substitute pads that would fit the HD580?

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm interested in finding out where I can buy a set of pads for my Senns too. Sennheiser Australia charges something like AUD$80-85 for them!
eek.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 10
Yeah, these are their most expensive pads, unfortunately. You pay about 40€ for these here (plus shipping).

BTW, I thought B-stock typically means open box and slightly used at best? It typically takes many years of use to get earpads into a shape as described.

Dec 7, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 10
Okay, C-stock?
600smile.gif

Well, if it's going to be that expensive, I might as well try to stuff some extra foam into the pads and then stitch them back up. Not much to lose, right?

Dec 7, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 10
My 8 year old 580s are starting to show some signs of wear. Just recently, one of the drivers went out/ so I replaced both drivers ($110). The cushions are pretty soft now, but I guess that makes them more comfortable. If I were to pay the $45 for new ones, that would be more then a new 580!!! Well at least with them only being $135 now, it might be easier just to get a new set of cans, and keep your old 580s as back ups!

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 10
Well I found some extra foam lying around, a thin needle, and some black string. I opened up the cushions and stuffed some of the extra foam beneath the old foam and then stitched it back up. Much better now! Although, now that the drivers are further away from my ears, they sound less forward. Oh well, I'll sure I'll get used to it! So if anyone else has smooshed pads like mine, I highly suggest refoaming your current cushions rather than shelling out 45 for new ones.

Dec 7, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 10
Geez! What a steal. Congrats!

I've got the 600 grills and the 650 cables coming soon. Anyone know to replace the grill and the cables? I tried tugging on the cables and they wouldn't budge.

Dec 8, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 10
The fit can be very tight if the cable has never been removed, that's right. For grille replacement the HD580 intermittency repair guide should be helpful.

BTW, was the kind of foam that you used similar to the existing stuff? The foam density has an influence on both sound and comfort (sweaty ears).

Dec 8, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fit can be very tight if the cable has never been removed, that's right. For grille replacement the HD580 intermittency repair guide should be helpful.

BTW, was the kind of foam that you used similar to the existing stuff? The foam density has an influence on both sound and comfort (sweaty ears).

I've noticed the new Senns (HD595 and 650s) have harder foam densities in their cushions. Wonder if Sennheiser is going to charge more for the 650 cushion for some prestiege factor or something!

to quickly sumerize the grill mod.....just take a spoon or coin, and pry the plastic grill off (it just slides off pretty easily). You can then snap on the 600 grill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back