hd580 headband snapped... ideas?
Apr 15, 2007 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

setasai

New Head-Fier
Hey guys... i was trying to stretch the headband out on the hd580s since it felt kind of tight and it snapped in half.

Any idea on how i'd go about fixing this?

Replacements of any kind?

Ideas ASAP please as this is my fav set of headphones and i wanna use it now without holding it on my head.

Thanks,
Brian

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 12
If you don't mind the looks, perhaps wrapping it around in duct tape could hold it together for a few months?

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by setasai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys... i was trying to stretch the headband out on the hd580s since it felt kind of tight and it snapped in half.

Any idea on how i'd go about fixing this?

Replacements of any kind?

Ideas ASAP please as this is my fav set of headphones and i wanna use it now without holding it on my head.

Thanks,
Brian

I would get a new one from sennusa. In the mean time some duct tape should do the trick. As a lesson for the next headband you should pull the left and right earphones all the way out (to their biggest setting) and bend only the metal outwards not the plastic.

Apr 15, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 12
lol yea i thought bout that... figured the plastic should be stronger than that... lol... lesson learned.

I searched through the forums and all i've seen is people using HD525's headband replacement or duct tape... not a permanent solution i dont think... so i'm going to try epoxy glue and see how that turns out.

in the mean time... any ideas on where i could get a replacement?... i really dont want to send it to senn for repair... it'll take too long...

Apr 15, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 12
I had this happen to my 650, too. Sent it in for repairs. It did take a few weeks to get back, though.

Apr 15, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 12
how did you remove the original headband? do those clips that hold the foam cushion just pop out?

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by setasai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how did you remove the original headband? do those clips that hold the foam cushion just pop out?

yes they do. take a screwdriver and pry them out. it takes a bit of force to do it so don't worry about breaking them.

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 12
I was actually planning on repairing them myself, too, but I couldn't figure out how to attach the driver parts to the middle headband.

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 12
ok so i epoxy'd them using some generic epoxy from ace hardware... it says it sets in 5 mins but it definitely did not so i held it for like 10mins... after that its pretty solid.

its been about 7ish hours now... they say it gets to usable strength around 8 hours and cures in 24.

i'll be going to work tomorow so by the time i get home and put the thing back together it should be 24 hours.

shall let you all know how it comes out... it could be a simple solution if it works well.

Apr 17, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 12
ok so its the next day now and the epoxy did not work... it was strong enough to put the whole thing back together and the second i went to put it on my head it cracked again and the epoxy just fell off.

guess i'll have to just send it in. I hope it wont cost too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back