HD580 / 600 pad stuffing?
Dec 12, 2009 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lecky

100+ Head-Fier
Since new earpads for these are quite expensive (here in the UK at least) I wonder if anyone's restuffed their old pads? If so was it a successful experiment? Since at least some old pads seem to be bigger than the new pads I wonder if stuffing old pads might even have some advantages over new pads...

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 4
HeadRoom sells new pads for $59. I guess a person might replace the pads every 2 or 3 years. That makes them $20 - $30 to maintain a year. You also get new foam to replace the grungy foam inside the ear piece. I can't see this as a great avenue for saving money by doing a DIY. Plus a new pair of pads makes the phones seem like new.

BTW, I bought a pair a few months back and they were the same size as my very old pads. They were not thinner.

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 4
They're £45 in the UK - $73, and I don't really mind buying new (although it'd be two thirds of what I payed for my HD580s to start with), but I wondered if anyone had had luck with refilling them. They'd obviously sound different, perhaps worse perhaps better. There are people putting good money down on leather pads for HD580/600/650 presumably in part because they're interested in an option for a different sound, which seems reasonable. Perhaps restuffing might similarly give a different flavour. It's not as if these cans are a model of tonal fidelity to start (lovely sounding as they are), so if anything they're a perfect candidate for such experimenting.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 4
It seems that this is new territory. As an experiment I've lightly stuffed the back of a pair of old pads through a couple of incisions made in the pleather underside using polyester 'hollowfill' stuffing material (like a light polyester cotton wool). By by stuffing only the backs the drivers are gently angled forward. The effect is not huge but seems good in the way that a little angling of the drivers as well as lifting them should be. There is no negative effect at all. If you're changing pads you might well give something like this a go with your old pads and see what you think. Hopefully next week I'll be able to compare these stuffed lightly angled pads to some newer pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back