hd570 or hd590?
Nov 25, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #16 of 21
Going back to the HD570 vs. HD590 debate:

Personally, I don't like either of those two headphones, especially for their current street prices. I strongly feel that both of those cans are outperformed by headphones from other brands costing half their prices. And neither of those two headphones is particularly efficient; in fact, the HD570 is especially inefficient (it needs lots of clean power just to be driven to adequately loud levels - and when underpowered, it sounds exceedingly bright).

Another major flaw in the design of both of those headphones is that the drivers end up being positioned way off axis even when properly worn. You can never get the drivers positioned anywhere near on-axis without major modifications to the headphones themselves. As a result, the sound from both of those Senns will be incoherent, murky and overbright all at once.

Why consider either of those when there are so many alternatives at their price points that perform much better? (But then again, 1999 - the year the HD570 and HD590 were introduced - was a particularly bad year for Sennheiser headphone designers; none of their 'phones that were introduced that year sound very good - and almost always sound worse than headphones that Sennheiser had introduced before or after that year.)

Nov 25, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 21
Gee, I'd like to know the answer to that too!
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by pretzel
uuhhhh ok thanks guys

and what would u recommend that sound better at half the price?

Sound better at half the price?? Nothing...

But a few come close...

Senn HD-280 Pro
Senn HD-212 Pro (only for mp3's and gaming...not audiophile quality)
Sony MDR V300 (also very nice...closer to audiophile than the HD212 Pro)

Cheers!!

(P.S - all the above are in the $50 - $100 range)

Nov 26, 2003 at 8:06 AM Post #21 of 21
I've played counter-strike with all 4 senn phones you guys have suggested. 212 Pro sounds like crap. 280's are nice. 570's gives you an exact location of your enemy, same with the HD590's. If you want them for alot of gaming and a good music experience, i would go for the 590's, the HD570's lacks sound in many ways, but has a few good points too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back