HD570 broken channel? (help!)
Jun 28, 2006 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

eos

Head-Fier
Hi there!

I've got my HD570s here (yes, I know they're not the greatest, but I'm a college student and have little funds to buy new stuff) and all of a sudden I'm getting only one channel -- the left channel. The right channel refuses to work, despite my messing with the cable (moving it around and stuff incase there was a cut in the cable somewhere) However, when I pull the cable out of the headphone 1/8th of an inch, I get sound out of both channels but it is clearly distorted (as any headphones are when the cable is slightly pulled out of the headphone.

Can anyone give me any advise as to what can cause this? I was thinking that I need a new cable but why does it work when the cable is pulled out a bit?

I'm confused.

Thanks guys!

Jun 28, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 11
My only guess is that when you pull the cable out just a little, the "good" channel is bridged between both of the connectors on the input jack (in the headphone), and you only get mono (or as you describe it, clearly distorted).

Do you have a stereo speaker test you can do to test this? When you pull the cable out slightly, do the speaker test, and see if you still only hear "left" OR "right" out of both drivers. If that's the case, then its most likely just a bad cable. A replacement cable will cost you about 12$ direct from sennheiser.

I had this happen on my HD590 once, execpt that for a month or so I could jiggle the cable to make it work. Slowly though, it just kept getting worse, to the point where I no longer could get both channels. Perhaps your's just went from good to bad quickly.

~Good luck

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7
My only guess is that when you pull the cable out just a little, the "good" channel is bridged between both of the connectors on the input jack (in the headphone), and you only get mono (or as you describe it, clearly distorted).

Do you have a stereo speaker test you can do to test this? When you pull the cable out slightly, do the speaker test, and see if you still only hear "left" OR "right" out of both drivers. If that's the case, then its most likely just a bad cable. A replacement cable will cost you about 12$ direct from sennheiser.

I had this happen on my HD590 once, execpt that for a month or so I could jiggle the cable to make it work. Slowly though, it just kept getting worse, to the point where I no longer could get both channels. Perhaps your's just went from good to bad quickly.

~Good luck

Ah! You were right. When I changed the balance entirely to the left side, it played on the right side of the headphones.

I guess it's a bad cable then. The problem now is that I live in Canada and Sennheiser Canada doesn't have a shop where a replacement cable and the US site doesn't ship outside of the US.

Does anyone know another place I could get a cable for a pair of HD570s?

Jun 28, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 11
Sennheiser Canada should be able to send you the cable or at least forward your request to a reseller. Have you called them yet?

Here's the toll free number:
(800) 463-1006

Jun 28, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by McRat
Sennheiser Canada should be able to send you the cable or at least forward your request to a reseller. Have you called them yet?

Here's the toll free number:
(800) 463-1006

I tried them several times.. yesterday they were closed for Quebec Day or something and then today the line went dead everytime it started to forward my call
frown.gif

I'll try again tomorrow.

Jun 28, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
How about treating this as a chance to upgrade your cable?
wink.gif
I know, you're a college student but still... (I'm sure someone here can offer a reasonable price on the cable).

I actually thought of this and browsed the FS/Trade forum and couldn't find any suitable cables :'( maybe I will post a WTB ad :)

Jun 28, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 11
I really don't think the HD570 is worth recabling with anything exotic (and pricey). Of course a low-cost DIY replacement cable is something to think about, as the mini-plug connector makes it quite an easy task for just about anyone.

Jun 28, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Well, if you're good wih the soldering iron (and can source a good 2.5mm plug - which seems uncommon), you can make your own cable on the cheap.

Negative. I know about as much about soldering as I do speaking Spanish.. and I don't speak Spanish. at all. :frowning2:

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #11 of 11
Had any luck getting your cable? I'm stuck in the same situation; my home made cable for my hd-600's just broke (after the original 600 cable breaking), so I'm buying a sennheiser 650 cable - but I can't find one for a reasonable price from anywhere that will ship to canada. (But I haven't tried contacting sennheiser)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back