HD558's have a small soundstage?
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

iPoopDaily

Aka: 420NOSC0PE; Trolldragon2, SandyMandy1993, hairbrushdildox and other aliases.
I bought them because I heard it was fairly large however it's quite small and rarely something sounds like it's coming from the outside. They have a confined and constricted sound mostly like a closed pair would. Maybe only slighter larger. Slightly. Any tips? Yes they have been burnt in,I've removed the foam and have them amped

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 8
I bought them because I heard it was fairly large however it's quite small and rarely something sounds like it's coming from the outside. They have a confined and constricted sound mostly like a closed pair would. Maybe only slighter larger. Slightly. Any tips? Yes they have been burnt in, I've removed the foam and have them amped

What exactly are you plugging the HD558's into (details)?

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 8
iPod Touch,Tablet,TV all through the E11. It's about the same with everything with best results from the TV. With music from my iPod,iTunes Radio and the best results are from my TV when using my PS3 as a source where I have downloaded all of my Cd's. I also use them for gaming and don't find them much help and I've had them directly plugged into my PS4 controller where they sounded REALLY cramped there.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 8
hmm i have been rocking my 558s for about 4 years now - as my gaming headphones.
and i struggle to see where your finding this minimal soundstage.

iPod Touch,Tablet,TV all through the E11. It's about the same with everything with best results from the TV. With music from my iPod,iTunes Radio and the best results are from my TV when using my PS3 as a source where I have downloaded all of my Cd's. I also use them for gaming and don't find them much help and I've had them directly plugged into my PS4 controller where they sounded REALLY cramped there.

how are you connecting the E11 to your devices? with a dock style connector or just via the headphone out?
now admittidly consoles have far poorer sound quality due to devices than well setup PCs (original sony ps1 being an exception) and also the quality of the games but thats heading off track - as others seem to use them fine from what i gather when using consoles.

so first i would check your connections - and also making sure you remove any limitations in the sound settings of your devices (sound EQ etc.)
second - making sure your not gettting any interferance - TVs suck for good sound when compared to alternatives.

lastly look at doing the 598 mod on them (opening them up and removing the sticky foam)

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 8

Nothing your using is going to provide surround sound for headphones.
If you want headphone surround sound for the PS4, invest in something like the Astro Mix-amp, plug it into the PS4's optical port (and headphones into the Astro).

For feeding audio into some thing like the FiiO E11 (or E11K?) is you want the source's volume at 75% or higher, then just use the E11 for volume control.

Have you tried removing the black rubber tape, from inside the cups of the HD558.
The taps covers about 40% of the HD558's air holes.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 8
as puple angels has suggested for your console you really want to look at a dolby surround kit for it (read mad lust envys headphone guide for more details)
as for other thoughts - when did you last have your ears cleaned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back