HD555 vs. ???
Mar 20, 2007 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

deathklok

Head-Fier
I realize this is a fairly odd comparison, but that's exactly why I need some help. So, I just bought some HD555's and I adore them. I don't yet own an amp, but I probably will soon. However, here's my dilemma: I already own some Etymotic ER6i's, which I also adore, and I'm pretty happy with them. But owning the Senn's started me thinking: would I rather have the HD555's or some ER4p's to use with my Zune and at home? I'm at a total loss here, because I've got a defined amount of money to spend, and bought the HD555's primarily for use in my dorm room, either playing games or listening to music during the "quiet hours". I listen to primarily rock, some metal, and some classical (ex classically trained pianist). So, I guess my real question is, what would the average user on here do, start a new setup and keep both pretty mid level, or take one about as far as you can; that is, blow my money on new Ety's , or keep the Senn's and get an amp?

Oh, and if you say Senn's and an amp, I'd love a recommendation, because right now I'm thinking BitHead because of the USB capability from my laptop.

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 16
Sorry I'm not answering your quetion... but I too have the HD555 and am looking into entry IEM's. How does your ER6i compare to the HD555 in terms of sound quality and bass? In a quiet environment (no isolation needed) would you choose to listen to the ER6i or the HD555 (supposing both were equally comfortable to wear)? Thanks.

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I'm not answering your quetion... but I too have the HD555 and am looking into entry IEM's. How does your ER6i compare to the HD555 in terms of sound quality and bass? In a quiet environment (no isolation needed) would you choose to listen to the ER6i or the HD555 (supposing both were equally comfortable to wear)? Thanks.

That's exactly my problem. The ER6i can get a little uncomfortable after a while, and there are times when being able to hear absolutely nothing but the music is not ideal, not to mention that for movies and maybe games I might pick the HD555, but I haven't exactly spent alot of time playing games or movies through headphones, which is something I plan to change, because I seem to keep people up. But as far as the sound quality goes, I judge everything else by my ER6i's, they are practically perfect in my mind. Everything is very flat and refined, and the detail in sound is incredible. My only gripe is possibly the bass extension, they can't really thump your whole ear, but that's mostly because they're inside of it. From what I understand, the ER4P is better in every aspect, which is why I'm very intrigued, I've had these Ety's almost a year, and I'm just now getting to the point where I can potentially hear some of their flaws (which are essentially nonexistant to me), which is prompting my upgrade thought. But yes, I would wholeheartedly recommend the ER6i to anyone. But I should also note that I might be to hour 20 on my HD555s, and I'm probably near hour 1000 on the Ety's, so I'm not in a great position to comfortably compare anything with the Senn's, because I haven't seen their true character. Sometimes I love them, but on some songs they sound almost muffled, but still surprisingly detailed. It's a really tough choice.

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 16
I personaly hate the 555s, as the include the worst of midfi and hifi - little detailling, little soundstage plus deadly boring neutrality. If you want more than this, it should not be a major problem thus.
wink.gif

I suggest a more consequent hifi path, something like a HD580 or DT880 plus amp (or so), depends from your budget finally.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 16
Not really. Rather opinion & experience at it's best.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personaly hate the 555s, as the include the worst of midfi and hifi - little detailling, little soundstage plus deadly boring neutrality. If you want more than this, it should not be a major problem thus.
wink.gif

I suggest a more consequent hifi path, something like a HD580 or DT880 plus amp (or so), depends from your budget finally.

Budget is $140-170.

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 16
HD580 & modified BTech (50$ish) should be achievable then. Others may sniff arrogantly, but this little amp rivals the odd 300$ amp easely - provided the tone pitch is removed from the board.

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 16
although the 555 (and 595) are 50ohm and are generally considered fine without an amp, i found that they really truly shone when i connected them to my emu 0404. my gripes about them (lack of bass, flat, unmusical at times) totally went away! of course, they're still not as good my sixfifty.

from my experience, "start at the source" is probably the most important phrase you'll hear here at head-fi. other than "sorry about your wallet" of course
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by iliketuna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
although the 555 (and 595) are 50ohm and are generally considered fine without an amp, i found that they really truly shone when i connected them to my emu 0404. my gripes about them (lack of bass, flat, unmusical at times) totally went away! of course, they're still not as good my sixfifty.

from my experience, "start at the source" is probably the most important phrase you'll hear here at head-fi. other than "sorry about your wallet" of course
wink.gif

agreed, the HD555 sound pretty decent unamped, but once you plug them into a nice amp, its like
eek.gif
580smile.gif

my only gripe was that sometimes the treble seemed to be overbearing on the HD555, depending on the amp i plugged into at the NYC meet. I didn't get much time to spend with the 595s, but i found them to have a much more "fun" sound to them, as everything was more prevalent and cleaner. The peoblem with the treble seemed to be non existent on the 595 though

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed, the HD555 sound pretty decent unamped, but once you plug them into a nice amp, its like
eek.gif
580smile.gif

my only gripe was that sometimes the treble seemed to be overbearing on the HD555, depending on the amp i plugged into at the NYC meet. I didn't get much time to spend with the 595s, but i found them to have a much more "fun" sound to them, as everything was more prevalent and cleaner. The peoblem with the treble seemed to be non existent on the 595 though

pfffft you and your overbearing treble issues.

icemax my friend you like the grado but think akg is too bright
eek.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 16
the hd555 too overbearing on treble? i would've thought the opposite.

listen to the things about getting a good source first, then get better gear. the bithead path seems ideal... or maybe any sort of USB amp/DAC combo. i personally use and love the e-mu 0404 usb... any software related problems are solved by using the optical/spidf input

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 16
i've never heard the er6i... but you have to amp the 555 to wake up the bass. its there though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back