HD555 VS K240S
Oct 8, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 8
Indeed, these two are a bit different, as can be seen from the Headroom graphs:
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...KG+K240+Studio
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...nnheiser+HD555
As you can see from the frequency response, the HD555 is more neutral overall, while the K240S is more of a "groovalizer" type (which is probably aided by the rather strong 3rd harmonic - honi soit qui mal y pense). Additionally, the K240S offers some usable isolation, something that the open HD555 cannot do. They are both easy to drive. Neither is a bad choice, which to take mostly depends on your taste.

Oct 8, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
honi soit qui mal y pense

it's french, but it doesn't mean anything...........

i think the k240s is more akin to the grados, more fun, while the hd555 is more calm feeling "i'm right up close to the players vs i'm eight rows back" it depends on what music you listen to, and what you like to hear in your music (lots of bass, not so much bass, etc)

Oct 8, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 8
"honi" is not a word. shame is "honte"

and it would be "la honte sur lui qui mal y pense" (at least i'm 95% sure it should be) unless the above is in old french, i which case ignore what i'm saying....

Oct 16, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
Is the K240S's reputation as the Groovalizer really legit?

IMHO... Yes. Bright enough to be fun and engaging, but not so much so that it can't be cranked UP. And they DO sound GOOOOD the louder you turn them up. Sub-bass extends nicely but not as "thuddy / pounding" sounding as the DT770. Bass has as sense of air and ambience around the fundamental note. Soundstage separation is much broader than any comparable Grado.

IMHO the K240s represents a nice spot between Grado SR's and the mid-fi Senn HD's, and is more comfortable than either. If you find Grados bright and Senns dull the K240s is a nice alternative.

They are not the easiest cans to drive. I wouldn't recommend them without a cmoy or govibe.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back