HD555 vs HD595 UNAMPED. Need opinions...
Sep 1, 2009 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

redlinez33

100+ Head-Fier
I have read many threads on the HD555 vs HD595 and it seems the overall theme is the HD595 sounds better, but the HD555 is the better deal.

But I am never sure if this is responses with people that are amping them or not.
I am also not willing to mod them (so no modding the HD555 to HD595).

So my question is, which gives a better sound for rock/electronic/rap unamped. The source is my X-Fi Titanium sound card... I will also be using these for games, but I am sure both will sound good fine for that.

Also is there a difference in comfort between the two?

I have never owned a sennheiser headphone so I think its time to give it a try.. My previous headphones were:

ATH-A700 - liked, shouldnt of sold, but the mids were recessed.

ATH-AD700 - very tinny sounding. Lack of bass and midbass.

SRH840 - Laid back and boring to me. Overall uncomfortable for long listening hours.

ATH-M50 - just got these, overall they are OK, but they get very warm to the ears after a while. Might still keep these, but considering sennheisers.

What will be the main differences in sound for the HD555 and HD595 unamped? Is the HD595 really worth the $80 over the HD55 when not using an amp?

Thanks for any advice

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 16
"ATH-AD700 - very tinny sounding. Lack of bass and midbass."

Glad someone agrees with me about the AD700. VERY tinny sounding indeed to my ears.

I don't know anything about rock/rap etc, but I can tell you that on orchestral music I was hard put to pick the difference between the 555 and 595. I would definitely go for the 555.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 16
I tested both hd 555 and 595 out of my portable cd player.

I liked the 595 better,it had a slightly more open,airy sound,with more precise imaging and better overall balance,and it was more refined over the whole audio spectrum.

I think the hd 555 was good,but it was a bit fatiguing to my ears,i didn't like something in the mids,they were not bad but they were a bit fuller than i would like to be.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 16
There is also the factor that you can mod the HD555 to be an HD595 by removing a piece of foam behind the drivers (not hard to do, and pretty safe I assume, but then again I'm very experienced at disassembling things). It's this piece the thing that alters the sound of the 555 and makes them sound muffled (I haven't tried it myself, but after a couple threads discussing this, that was the conclusion) .So unamped I would buy the 555 and contemplate the mod.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 16
Well I splurged and bought the HD595 for $160 shipped.

This will complete my "search for better phones" Im done and tired. Over the last 2 months I have tried so many phones that its crazy.

Ill just enjoy what I got.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinez33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This will complete my "search for better phones" Im done and tired. Over the last 2 months I have tried so many phones that its crazy.

That's the easy way about this. Congrats! Now run away from this site and save your wallet while you can.

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinez33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congrats! Great phones the 595, really like them. Now to save your wallet follow 1Times advice, the upgraditis bug that runs around here is very hard to avoid!

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 16
I think you're going to like them. Really, really comfortable headphones, and they sound good with most anything.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 16
Well I finally got them yesterday. They have near 6hours on them. Very happy with them. Comfortable, very warm sound. I have a feeling they will be good for long listening hours.

But I think I will also keep the ATH-m50 for when I feel like a energetic (not so laid back) phone. Finally done with the search!

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 16
I agree with the majority of the people here, the HD595’s are a very relaxing headphone. I find myself falling asleep easily. The one annoyance is the headphone jack is default 1/8 , so using it portably requires the adapter which can be a bit annoying, especially when the headphone jack is the same length as your PMP.
Great headphone though! One of the few good ones that are still good unamped.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 16
The 595s are without a doubt my fav un-amped headphones. They sound awesome right out of any soundcard or 99% of Mp3 players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back