HD555 vs. ES7 vs. RP21.. decisions decisions
Jul 20, 2007 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bladefd

500+ Head-Fier
After much research, I am down to HD555, ES7 and RP21. Of the 3, RP21 costs the most. HD555 would be refurbished but I got no problem with that. ES7 would be in my budget after using google checkout. All would be within my budget(which is $100) but HD555 would be the cheapest of the 3.

This will be used for the following: gaming, extensive periods of listening(so comfort is a big factor), different types of music(bass more so than treble but it doesn't matter). Hopefully somebody has listened to all 3 of those headphones and have a little idea for comparison sake. Thanks all.

p.s. Due to HD555 being cheapest of the 3, I am leaning towards that at this moment unless if somebody can convince me otherwise.
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bladefd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After much research, I am down to HD555, ES7 and RP21. Of the 3, RP21 costs the most. HD555 would be refurbished but I got no problem with that. ES7 would be in my budget after using google checkout. All would be within my budget(which is $100) but HD555 would be the cheapest of the 3.

This will be used for the following: gaming, extensive periods of listening(so comfort is a big factor), different types of music(bass more so than treble but it doesn't matter). Hopefully somebody has listened to all 3 of those headphones and have a little idea for comparison sake. Thanks all.

p.s. Due to HD555 being cheapest of the 3, I am leaning towards that at this moment unless if somebody can convince me otherwise.
tongue.gif

I think you are making a decision between apple and oranges. First of all the 555's are open, and the other two are closed. That makes these a completely different beast than the other two. If you wanted bass, the 555's will not own up to that which you should know by now if you did research. You'd be better off with one or the other of the other two.

Jul 20, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 14
I do not post often, but I do currently own the hd555's and es7. I've used the hd555's for gaming (counterstrike) and music since december. They are without a doubt the most comfortable headphone that I have ever used.

The hd555's have a pretty nice soundstage, so I would always know where my enemies were when I played games with them. However the hd555's did not quite satisfy me in the music department. I listen to most kinds of rock, techno, and some hip hop/r&b. The hd555's sound was very warm and suttle to my ears. The sound was very smooth, but didnt necessarily get me too involved into the music.

I received my es7's this past tuesday, and have not plugged the hd555's back in since lol. I'm not going to say that the es7's are necessarily better than the hd555's, but they are very different. I've never had the opportunity to listen to a grado, but the es7's sound is pretty upfront (similiar to my ksc75's). The sound remains somewhat warm, but the lows go deeper and the high's are great also while the midrange is definately there. I am in love with these headphones right now. The soundstage of the es7's was surprisingly nice for a headphone its size. I imagined the soundstage would be more along the lines of my ksc75's, but it actually is almost as good as my hd555's.

The only downside for me when switching to the es7's from the hd555's is the comfort factor. The switch from a circumaural hd555 to a supraaural es7 is the main reason why I feel uncomfortable with the es7's right now. It will likely just take me a few more days for my ears to get used to the pressure of a supraaural can. Meanwhile I will continue to stretch the headband slightly while burning in the headphones each night.

Again, I only own the hd555's and es7's, so I cannot comment on the rp21's. However from what I've read around these forums, you can't go wrong with the rp21's either, so whichever can you pick enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 14
I have the HD555 with the Go-Vibe v5. Just like the other user mentioned its lacking in bass. There is bass but its not going to split your head open in half. The comfort on these are amazing! You can wear them for hours and not feel any discomfort. I listen to all kinds of music, IMO the headphones perform best with singers like...Diana Krall, Norah Jones, and Lauryn Hill.
I also play Counterstrike(source) and it works great, easily tell where everyone is at. When people talk you can clearly hear what they're saying.
Overall, im happy with my first "real" headphones.

Jul 20, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 14
Well, on the contrary to the poster above, I own the ES7 and the RP-21. So here's a couple quick words. I think all around the RP-21 are the better sounding headphone. Don't get me wrong though, the ES7's are fantastic. The RP-21's just have a bigger airier smoother sound. The ES7's can be a little bright at times (but i get used to it) and they sound a lot more upfront and in your face, rather than the big spatial vibe the RP-21's present. The RP-21's are the better isolators but the ES7's are very nice to wear in public.

Anyhow, they're both great. I use them equally. Some may prefer the bright upfront nature of the ES7, but to me I prefer the RP-21's sound. They both have good bass but the RP-21 has rockin bass.

Things to take into consideration for gamers:
-ES7 cable is very short so that could be a problem if you're plugging into a tower.
-ES7 are not as comfortable for longer periods as the RP-21
-ES7 do not have the huge spatial feel like the RP-21 (not as good for keeping track of footsteps and things of that nature).

I'd say go for RP-21. You can't go wrong.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are making a decision between apple and oranges. First of all the 555's are open, and the other two are closed. That makes these a completely different beast than the other two. If you wanted bass, the 555's will not own up to that which you should know by now if you did research. You'd be better off with one or the other of the other two.

Well, to tell you the truth, It doesn't matter whether the headphones are closed or open to me. I will be happy as long as they are circumaural. I do listen to more bass music than treble but all 3 headphones do not seem to have really weak bass.

jaykay- Comfort is a big factor and I didn't really consider that much when I saw that ES7 was listed under circumaural almost everywhere. I am starting to have 2nd thoughts about ES7 after what you mentioned. A500 is very close behind ES7 and from what I have read so far, A500 is much more comfortable than ES7. I just didn't think A500 sounded as good as ES7. I guess I pretty much would have to decide between HD555, RP21 and possibly A500 instead of ES7 if I made a big deal over comfort.

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 14
I'm somewhat of a bass-head and I find no lack of a Senn-style visceral bass punch with my HD555 when amped with my C&C box and its LF (low frequency boost) switch on. It does not fail to bring a smile. I also particularly like the balance of my HD555; it just sounds right to me. While reading this thread I thought "I should put my HD555 on so I can better comment on it", looked around, and then realized I still had them on from using them earlier. They're that comfortable; I have no problem having them on for hours. That said, I really like and enjoy my HD555. However, I may be upgrading soon so anyone interested should keep an eye out for an upcoming listing of my HD555 and C&C box in the for sale forum.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 14
go for the RP21, you can put on Beyer Pleather or Leather Earpad if you find them uncomfortable..

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 14
As a potential ES7 buyer in the near future, I'm wondering how is the bass on them? I hear a lot of good things about the Equation 21 + 15 bass and I want to know how the ES7 compares.

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LepakVT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a potential ES7 buyer in the near future, I'm wondering how is the bass on them? I hear a lot of good things about the Equation 21 + 15 bass and I want to know how the ES7 compares.

Basically, ES7 has nice really tight bass but the RP-21 has bigger, smoother, and more natural sounding bass (still tight sounding though). I own both and I'd have to say I'd choose the rp-21s.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically, ES7 has nice really tight bass but the RP-21 has bigger, smoother, and more natural sounding bass (still tight sounding though). I own both and I'd have to say I'd choose the rp-21s.

Does the RP-15 have a similar bass signature as the 21?

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LepakVT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the RP-15 have a similar bass signature as the 21?

No

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why are you selling your RP-21 then?

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

have to agree with that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back