HD555 Upgrade?
Jan 19, 2014 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nihl

Head-Fier
Sup guys, looking for a new pair of cans...My old Sennheiser HD555s are losing their luster, as they have become cracked (still usable) and now considered outdated. What I'm looking for is a replacement pair that can be used to listen to a wide variety of music, entertainment and also a tad bit of gaming (I plan to attach a zalman clip-on mic). On a side note, I'm currently using a soundcard by XI-FI, I think it's the XtremeGamer? Not sure, I'll have to check..it's kind of old. No amp right now, could get one if I find a pair that would use it. Back to the phones -- I've looked at the HD598s in the past, and they seem like a good step up from the HD555s, but I REALLY do not like the color of them. Seriously Senn, brown? Yuck...anyways, my price range is up to $200 -- preferrably less though. So find me a good deal and something that is just as comfortable as these 555s are and I'll be happy. If you guys need any other info from me just ask, I'll respond quickly!

the three things I look for...

*COMFORT
*DURABILITY
*SOUND

edit: my 555s are modded *595 mod*

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 12
Are your 555's damaged to the point where you can't listen to them properly? If they aren't, I might give the 555 to 595 mod a go, will link the video below. Essentially turns your 555's into the 595 just but taking out two adhesives.

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 12
Well, the 555s are open. Which is nice because my ears don't get warm, and they sound great. But with that said, yes sometimes I am around people and background sound can be a burden. So I'm up for any suggestions, as long as they are good ones. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 12
  Sup guys, looking for a new pair of cans... My old Sennheiser HD555s are losing their luster, as they have become cracked and now considered outdated. What I'm looking for is a replacement pair that can be used to listen to a wide variety of music, entertainment and also a tad bit of gaming (I plan to attach a zalman clip-on mic). On a side note, I'm currently using a sound card by XI-FI, I think it's the XtremeGamer? Not sure, I'll have to check..it's kind of old. No amp right now, could get one if I find a pair that would use it. Back to the phones -- I've looked at the HD598s in the past, and they seem like a good step up from the HD555s, but I REALLY do not like the color of them. Seriously Senn, brown? Yuck...anyways, my price range is anywhere from $125-200. So find me a good deal and something that is just as comfortable as these 555s are and I'll be happy. If you guys need any other info from me just ask, I'll respond quickly!

the three things I look for...

*COMFORT
*DURABILITY
*SOUND

Sounds like a job for the HD558s (Amazon sells used for $109).
Might also consider replacing the Xtreme Gamer with the Sound Blaster Z, not for game improvement, but hopefully a little better sound quality.

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 12
  I have done the mod on the 555s, aren't they pretty much identical to the 558s?

Anything outside of the Senn world is okay too, as long as it's quailty...

The HD558/HD598 both use the same driver, which is a newer design, then the one in the HD555.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X headphones.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 12
  "Audio Technica ATH-AD900X headphones"

Was that a suggestion, or a reference to the drivers? They cost over $200, outside my price range -- if so.

Suggestion for good closed headphones (not the same driver).
Sometimes used ones sell for a good price.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 12
Cool -- I might just bite the bullet and get the 598....

Edit: Then again, the DT770 Pro with an STX might be the way to go. I'll give it some more thought.

Thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back