HD555 sounds... AMAZING
Nov 15, 2008 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

st4r0c3an

100+ Head-Fier
I've sold my HD580 around a week ago and have not listened though my home set up since tonight. I plugged in my HD555, expecting it to lack detail with no bass what so ever as I have remembered... But to my surprise, they sound extremely detailed and the bass is very impacting. They even sound better than my memory of HD580!

I remember when I first got the HD580 as an upgrade to the HD555 I found them to be superior in every aspect. This also happened every time I've a/bed them ever since after.

I am really tempted to stick with this pair of headphones and scrap the plan of upgrading to something better (planned on selling both the 580 and 555 to buy something better).

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by st4r0c3an /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've sold my HD580 around a week ago and have not listened though my home set up since tonight. I plugged in my HD555, expecting it to lack detail with no bass what so ever as I have remembered... But to my surprise, they sound extremely detailed and the bass is very impacting. They even sound better than my memory of HD580!

I remember when I first got the HD580 as an upgrade to the HD555 I found them to be superior in every aspect. This also happened every time I've a/bed them ever since after.

I am really tempted to stick with this pair of headphones and scrap the plan of upgrading to something better (planned on selling both the 580 and 555 to buy something better).

That's a pretty nice system... >>>

Computer: Foobar->AudiMax->Zero DAC->LD MKII->HD555

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 21
HD555 did not sound good with that system at all before though. I am confused on what to do next. Should I sell my HD555 and buy something like a HD650?

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Should I sell my HD555 and buy something like a HD650?

Maybe you should keep the HD555 and enjoy it because it sounds amazing with your system. Simply enjoying it for a while should eventually resolve your confusion to where you would no longer desire an upgrade or decide you need something better.

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 21
It all depends on personal preference. I say give it a shot and go for the 650's the worst that could happen is that you say these cans aren't for me. You can always sell them and get different cans in exchange. I have found anytime that I look for something new that what 99% of people think is an upgrade usually is. I upgraded from the 595's to the 701's and the difference is noticeable to say the least. Don't be afraid to upgrade it might just be the best thing you can do.

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 21
now when i am trying to get rid of my HD555..suddenly all threads on HD555 are popping up.

kinda unpoisoning me

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 21
Doesn´t make sense. Your mind is playing tricks.
tongue.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 21
You should listen to them good until you get the upgraditis. If you upgrade too early there's a lot to miss.

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're in the process of saving yourself from (or delaying) upgraditis! You should patent the cure!

I think the cure begins with using upstream equipment that is capable of bringing out much of a headphone's potential. However, I don't doubt that it ends there. The OP has an amazing sounding system, and yet posts here about whether to upgrade. There's clearly something else going on here... lol.

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

The hd650 is an evolution of the hd600 which is an evolution of the hd580 so there is a chance that the same thing will happen with the hd650.
It will save you money if you love your hd555 now and don't feel the need to upgrade.

But like many others said here, I think that memory is easily blurred when it comes to sound.
Or maybe I just have a very bad memory
wink_face.gif
but I think it is very hard to remember every details of how headphones exactly sound without having them next to us, our hearing seems to adapt very fast to whatever we are hearing or not hearing (it seems to make a huge difference when our ears are rested) , the headphones may have different sound level, we don't seem to hear things the same way after a long day of work or in the morning, things around us can be different, even our mood can make something sound better etc..

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the cure begins with using upstream equipment that is capable of bringing out much of a headphone's potential. However, I don't doubt that it ends there. The OP has an amazing sounding system, and yet posts here about whether to upgrade. There's clearly something else going on here... lol.

Yea, it's not much of a cure, is it? Save on headphones by...buying amps and other source-related equipment. Oh, the humanity!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back