Hd555 rewiring help?
Aug 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RoskaL

New Head-Fier
Im rewiring my hd555s and want to use the splitter and will be using a 4pole 3.5mm jack plug

Whats the best way to do the split into the y? As in the strongest way to solder it? Ill be using cardas quad eutectic solder

But want it to be really neat and strong, hows the best way to be sodering? I cant find a guide specifically for this type of join

Also someone suggested Belden 1804a to use to rewire, is that a good choice?
Ill be using a hicon 3.5mm 4 pole jack and a viablue splitter with techflex braid

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
Im rewiring my hd555s and want to use the splitter and will be using a 4pole 3.5mm jack plug

Whats the best way to do the split into the y? As in the strongest way to solder it? Ill be using cardas quad eutectic solder

But want it to be really neat and strong, hows the best way to be sodering? I cant find a guide specifically for this type of join

Also someone suggested Belden 1804a to use to rewire, is that a good choice?
Ill be using a hicon 3.5mm 4 pole jack and a viablue splitter with techflex braid

Hm..you are looking for a cable and the best way to split it? Forget about the solder!! It doesnt matter because you dont have to solder the cables at the split. Just take some mini quad from mogami for example and make your split yourself..

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm not sure you understand the layout of the cable.  It's 4 wires end to end.  There's no soldering at the split.  You run the cable as is up to the y-split, then you remove the cable jacketing to expose the 2 wire pairs, put something like heatshrink or a Viablue over the y-split, then run the 2 wire pairs into the earcups.  The HD555 has a single sided cable with a proprietary 4 prong thing inside it that connects into one of the earcups.  So if you want to do a dual entry you'll have to drill into each earcup and attach the wires to each driver.  To figure out what each wire is you'll want to disconnect the wires from the driver contacts and then use a multimeter to see which contact on the 1/4 or 1/8" plug they correspond to.  

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 7
better explication :)

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Better to PM me if you don't know every last detail (I'd disassemble the cans first and see how they work, too) than to brick the headphones.  I sure wish I knew why Senn didn't stick with the same plugs for all their headphones.  

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 7
Ah i forgot to add its wired into both cans because im building a socket for a mic into it so would need 4cables one side and 2 on the other, so was going to run the quad cable on each side and join them at the y

I dont know any other way to do this neatly

Im from uk so cable and stuff is really limited

Users who are viewing this thread

Back