HD555 plus iPod Mini without amp?
Oct 12, 2005 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Music Mike

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking here for a few months, and much to my wife's dismay, I've been bit by the "headphone bug". Thanks, guys...

Based on feedback here and elsewhere, I purchased a set of Sony MDR EX-61s (a few $ cheaper than the 71s) to go with my newly purchased 4GP iPod mini (8 mo. old). I use my rig pretty much solely for my walk to work (45 min each way).

I'm getting bit tired of the sound of the 61s, and am looking for a change. I can't seem to get them far enough into my ears to bring out the bass -- and when I do manage to forcefully jam them in that far, I lose all of the high end clarity. My music is mostly lyrical light rock (Third Day, Casting Crowns, Crash Test Dummies, etc.), and a balanced, full spectrum sound appeals to me (i.e. I'm not a basshead nor am I a neutral sound afficionado).

My first thought was to upgrade to the Ety ER-6i. However, since that's an internet purchase, I'm thinking it's going to be a real hassle to return them if I'm not satisfied.

The only decent, entry-level audiophile headphone I can track down in the local shops is the Senn HD555. I'm not sure how well that's going to wear for walking, but I'm willing to give it a go. My biggest concern is how it's going to sound un-amped. I've done searches here and elsewhere and can't seem to get a clear answer. Is my Mini going to do this headphone justice??

Sorry for rambling -- hopefully I caught the necessary details!

Any feedback would be most appreciated. Any Canadians out there (I'm from Calgary) that could suggest other phones (<$200 CDN) available from stores in town?

Mike

Oct 12, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 3
Well first off, welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

I own the HD555, and I've listened to it out of a bigger ipod, so I think I can comment on this one. Honestly, the HD555's sound better than most headphones you can buy at a best buy or circuit city, but they're only worth the price if you plan on amping them. This pertains to the low impedance (50 ohm?) version which I own, and even moreso to the higher-ohm version. Plus, you'd look like an absolute fool walking around with those things on your head. They're awfully comfy cans, yet not too high on the looks factor.

Nowadays I use my HF-1s, and I've used them unamped out of a DAP and they just sound great. They're out of your price range, so you might otherwise like to check out something like an SR60 or MS-1, I haven't owned either myself but they're very likeable cans and should probably suit your musical tastes/budget well. Good luck!

Oct 12, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 3
I havn't heard my HD555s amped yet so I can't comment on that, but I do run them with my mini sometimes when I am at home. They sound better than the audigy 1 in my computer, especially with classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back