HD555 or A500....purchasing today..HELP ME DECIDE!!!
Jul 17, 2006 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Pollux

New Head-Fier
I've narrowed my decision for a replacement to my broken Alessandro MS-1's down to the HD555's and the A500's. These will be used with my PC for gaming and listening to music (mainly rock, but some of almost every genre as well). I've spent the last couple hours or so filtering through almost every thread comparing these two and still can't come to a decision. So I'm going to break down my questions and concerns:

Comfort

From what I've read, consensus seems to be that the HD555 are more comfortable than the A500, so much that you forget you're wearing them. As long as both are comfortable to wear for several hours, I don't care and it isn't a deciding factor. However, what concerns me is that the A500's, being a closed set, might cause sweating after an hour or so. Although I haven't experienced anything like that before, it definately sounds like something I would like to avoid. To those of you who have used A500's, was sweating an issue? I understand that sweating is the downside to the plus of having better isolation, but I will be using these for exclusive use with my PC in a quiet room, so isolation isn't necessary, I'm more concerned how they compare in other areas.

Music

I had a hard time finding a good comparison of these two sets in terms of music, mostly due to the lack of information on the A500. However, I've read that the HD555 have good mids, where as the A500 have poor mids. Also, apparently the HD555's get muddy/sloppy when it comes to guitar in rock music, and the A500s have powerful but muddy bass. I also have been reading that the HD555's are a "boring" headphone and "vieled" (what does that mean?). I like the punch that the MS-1's provided and made music listening very enjoyable. I tend to mostly listen to rock but also listen to some of almost every genre.

Gaming

I've read that the A500 is better for gaming because it is a closed headphone that provides good isolation. I don't care how much isolation I get or how much sound leaks out because I game in a quiet room...I got by just fine with the MS-1's, despite their small sound stage. What I'm looking for here is a headphone that can provide convincing explosions and bullet fire for FPS's as well as good ambient sound for games like Oblivion. Which is best for immersion in video games?

Which is best un-amped?

I will not be using an amp. I've read that the A500's peform at their potential without one, but that the HD555's can still gain from an amp. Although the HD555's gain more from an amp, do they sound better or worse un-amped than the A500's also un-amped?

Jul 18, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 13
Audio technicas will run as good amped or unamped, I recommend investing a bit more and getting the a900. I myself is gonna order a a900ltd, main reason is they don't require amping to sound good, The 555 shouldn't be too bad unamped but senn headphones have a tendency to need amping in order to get the most outta them. Good luck with your desition. I don't know if this compares but before I used to have some closed cans, used to love them because sound stayed in, sweating was not a problem they had that pleather material, it was quite comfortable specially in the summer when there's insects it's nice to be able to keep the buzzing noise out, if there's one thing I hate is bugs specially when they do a fly by close to the ears. I have asked some people about the audio technicas a900 and they say that bass is where they win, if you have never owned a good set of cans almost any set would seem like a step up. At least I tried to answer your answers the best I could. Heres a good review I read, I think one of the most helpfull. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130998 Good Luck.

Jul 18, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellover009
Audio technicas will run as good amped or unamped, I recommend investing a bit more and getting the a900. I myself is gonna order a a900ltd, main reason is they don't require amping to sound good, The 555 shouldn't be too bad unamped but senn headphones have a tendency to need amping in order to get the most outta them. Good luck with your desition.

As for the amping issue, even though the 555 wouldnt be running at their max potential without an amp, do they still sound better than the A500? or would you need an amp for the 555s to sound better?

As for the A900s and HD595s...they cost a little more than I'd like to spend, but would be willing to ONLY if the difference truly was night and day, not just something minor only a trained audiophile would notice. But if the A500s sweat, so will the A900s, and that is a major turn off for me.

Jul 18, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 13
I just bought the A500's. As far as comfort goes, I would be hard pressed to find anything more comfortable than the A500's. These are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. EVER. Great for gaming, great for music (at least for me). Great value I say.

Jul 18, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by xSnowmaNx
I just bought the A500's. As far as comfort goes, I would be hard pressed to find anything more comfortable than the A500's. These are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. EVER. Great for gaming, great for music (at least for me). Great value I say.

How about sweating? How long, if it all, do you have to wear these before you start to sweat?

Jul 18, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 13
I was debating with A500, A900, and HD 595, 555 or HD 580 a long time.
almost pull the trigger for A900 or HD 580($130
eek.gif
), until HD 595 on sale..it's in upper limit of my budget.. yes, I got 50 ohm version.
eggosmile.gif

I love 595, highly recommend. it sounds great without amp. and music image is fun!! so alive in the air.

Jul 18, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 13
Yea it's basically a toss-up between these:

In my budget: A500 or HD555
In my budget just barely (rather not spend this much): A900 or HD595

Every time I come close to a decision on one, I read something that changes my mind.
blink.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pollux
Yea it's basically a toss-up between these:

In my budget: A500 or HD555
In my budget just barely (rather not spend this much): A900 or HD595

Every time I come close to a decision on one, I read something that changes my mind.
blink.gif

haha.. I know exactly your feeling.. I changed my mind at least 4 times..and raised the budget twice.. if I grabbed the HD 580, the whole story will be different. hoho~~
For unknown reason, I stick with Senn sound if it's no too much difference..flipping-coin situation..

HD 555 looks exactly as HD 595..I could vouch the comfortable of those headphone.. hoho.. it feels like...like it doesn't exist..
sweating? no, unless it's over 90F in your room. I always mistakely thought there was siren outside the building, haha.. it's from the music I was listening..

Jul 18, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 13
well, grab a pair of A900 used! (I know, shameless plug for my own FS, but its true, they're worth it!)

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 13
oh yea, fyi that trade fell through. The A900 I routinely use in my room, which is cooled by a fan, and thats it. They aren't bad at all. In terms of comfort, with the A1000 pads on them they're honestly only bested in comfort by those old DT990-250 Pro I used to have. And yes, the 555 and 595 fit pretty much exactly the same, and are comfortable if you like the sennheiser fit. (Never been a big fan personally, I much prefer AT or Beyer) IMO the 500->900 is a more substantial leap than 555->595, but I've only owned the 555, 595 and 900 and tried the 500 out twice, so my opinion may not be entirely accurate. Either way, any of those 4 cans are great, I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you choose!

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 13
is it me or the 595 look funny? Anyways I have heard ppl that owned the 595 and are pretty happy with them, so are the ppl with the a900's. If you simply cannot affort to ivest more than what you can then don't look at this, but since as we call it your already this far might as well put in a few bucks more and get something with better built quality and better sound. A lotta ppl have had the 595 unamped and they sounded really good, they amped it and saw some difference, amping doesen't always mean power but quality, what it means is the bass might not sound louder or more powerfull but better controlled and refined, the sounds might show more clarity and aggresiveness since they have they power. The A900 and A500 will sound great no matter what, but don't let that push you away from the senns he 595 because it's a great set. If you can see if you can listen to both, some brands and models have a distinguished sound style and characteristics, and what might sound good to me might not be to your taste.

Jul 18, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 13
I've owned both the HD555 and A500 in the past, so I feel pretty qualified to comment on both of them.

As far as comfort, they are both pretty simmilar. They are big circumaural, cushy and not too snug. But I felt the A500 was too big. The ear cups are massive, and when I'd lay my head back in my chair, they'd get in the way. They simply feel unwieldy compared to the HD555s.

For music, I prefered the HD555s without a doubt. They are very balanced headphones with great mids, good bass (not huge and boomy) and good highs (aggressive but not shrill). They are not at all muddy/sloppy for rock music, in fact I think they (HD555/595) are the most agressive and upfront Sennheisers (like Sennheiser meets Grado). The A500s were bass monsters, big and boomy but totally unbalanced. The highs were very strong but created a sibalance problem for me. They did have good mids though. If all I were listening to on these was music, I'd go HD555 no question.

For gaming/movies, both of these headphones provide great soundstage which is the most important feature. What gives the A500s the edge in gaming was there downfall in music, the big bass and strong highs. Listening to explosions and bullets 'zinging' on the A500 is great. That doesn't mean the HD555 don't make great gaming headphones, they just don't have that extra 'boom' that the A500s do. Since isolation isn't an issue I'll just skip that.

Both of these headphones are great unamped. While the HD555s do sound a bit better when amped, both of these headphones are on equal footing when unamped.

Anyway, I liked the HD555s better
tongue.gif
. Unless you want headphones exclusively for gaming, get the HD555s. For anyone who doesn't want to go all out into the headphone thing (headphones, amps, dacs, etc) I'd suggest the HD555s as the best 'jack of all trades' headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back