HD555 or 558 (or something else :O ) - What to get?
Mar 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

hrigg

New Head-Fier
Hi all! Long time browser, first time poster.  

I've been using the HD428 I got for Christmas and I'm really enjoying them, but I'm looking to get some with an open design to complement my closed cans.  

I listen to a wide variety of music, watch movies, and occasionally game on my computer - the source of my media.

Also, I'm a college student - so I do have a budget.  I've been looking around and I see DAKmart has refurbished 555's and 558's for $60 and $100 (before shipping).  The site seems a bit sketch, but they *are* an authorized dealer.  I ordered from their amazon site and got some refurbished 419's for my brother and girlfriend for their birthdays - and they love them.  Does anyone else have any experience ordering from this site? Anything to watch out for? I could probably stretch up to ~$130 if I tighten my belt.  

Any other recommendations would be fantastic.  I'm looking for something with a big soundstage, too.  And I'm not too picky about bass either.  I think that covers all of the bases.  

Mar 29, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 15
Mar 29, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 15
I haven't used Dakmart because of too many bad experiences reported here and elsewhere.  It appears to be a real crap shoot with them.

In addition the cans you are looking at have a good rep for sound (certainly at $100 or less), but have been prone to cracking.  I's sure like to know why they had to be refurbished and how before I bought this now aging product (they were replaced by the 5x8 line).

For the best value new for the type of can you are looking for take a hard look and listen to the Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones.  Amazon has them shipped to you for $50.  Just be sure to burn them in properly.

Also worth a gander is the under $100 AKG K 240 Sudios.

A few months ago, you could pick up a new Senn HD 518 for under $100, but their new Map pricing has ended that.

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for all the quick replies!  I've heard the SR60i before, and I didn't find it all that comfortable.  

The ATH-TAD400's, Samson's, and the AKG's are really giving me a hard choice.  Does anyone have experience with any (or all three!) of them?  I'd also like to know how comfort is while wearing glasses, as I occasionally need to wear glasses.  These will also be worn for long periods of time, so I must reiterate that comfort is key.  

Also, any other experiences with them would be perfect. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 15
Does the price change much on the AKG's?  They're ~$94 right now and most retailers have a much higher price.  Thinking I should order soon-ish if it's bound to go up.

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Does the price change much on the AKG's?  They're ~$94 right now and most retailers have a much higher price.  Thinking I should order soon-ish if it's bound to go up.

They are now an older model (behind the much newer AKG K240MKII - AKG STUDIO STANDARD SEMI OPEN) and have been in that price range (recently just below $90) for some time.  I doubt that there is any urgency to pull the trigger.

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 15
Alright, well, I'm gonna pull the trigger anyway.  

Looking forward to getting back to you and seeing if I made the right choice.  Should be getting them sometime next week.

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Thanks for all the quick replies!  I've heard the SR60i before, and I didn't find it all that comfortable.  
The ATH-TAD400's, Samson's, and the AKG's are really giving me a hard choice.  Does anyone have experience with any (or all three!) of them?  I'd also like to know how comfort is while wearing glasses, as I occasionally need to wear glasses.  These will also be worn for long periods of time, so I must reiterate that comfort is key.  
Also, any other experiences with them would be perfect. 

Lucky for you I own two AKGs, the K240M Monitor 600-Ohm & K242HD (repainted K240) and the Samson SR850.
And I keep reading glass around.
The AKG with velour pads are very comfortable, light pressure on ears, so works decently with glasses.
Now I could also wear the Samson SR850s for long periods of time also.
Samson SR850s are made by Superlux, Superlux makes unlicensed (I'm guessing) clone/copies of the AKG K240 series headphones.
AKG K240 Velour pads ($40) fit on the Samson and other Superlux headphones
Some used AKG K240 Studios or used K240MKII, would be a good value, get ones with Velour pads.
But the Samson SR850 (fake leather pads) is still a good value at $55.

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 15
I love my 558's especially after the foam removal mod, soundstage is pretty wide and has height too, it has a very mid centric sound. I do think that the bass could have more punch and presence although its not lacking, the top end treble lacks a bit of detail but I love the 558 sound.

It complements my DT990 pros quite well and its easy to drive. 

You also might want to have a look at Creative aurvana live ! and the Shure SRH440, the CAL!'s are more musical with more bass but the shures are more analytical and a bit cold with some sibilance, I find it a bit fatiguing in long listening sessions 

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
I love my 558's especially after the foam removal mod, soundstage is pretty wide and has height too, it has a very mid centric sound. I do think that the bass could have more punch and presence although its not lacking, the top end treble lacks a bit of detail but I love the 558 sound.

I agree with this statement. I absolutely love my Sennhesier 558.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back