HD555 not good for music ?? (CNET review says so)
May 30, 2008 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dayamax

100+ Head-Fier
This is an excerpt from a review on CNET about HD555 :

Quote:

While we were impressed by the HD555s' home-theater performance, its music reproduction fell a bit short. On Jazz Descargas, a CD of passionate Afro-Cuban percussion, the HD555s sounded a little too sweet and laid back, as the 'phones softened the interplay between the drummers. Aerosmith's blues CD, Honkin' on Bobo, also sounded a tad restrained for our tastes. We preferred Sennheiser's more vivid HD 280 Pro headphones.

Complete review here : Sennheiser HD555 Headphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Is this true , that HD555 is good for movies and gaming but not so much for music ?

May 30, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 15
The CNET users seemed to enjoy them, although I'm not sure that means anything. Here's what our trusted fellows thought:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jus...-hd555-325945/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd5...better-321631/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...y-good-271946/

And I'm sure there are many more good threads! (You know how to search, ya?
biggrin.gif
)

May 30, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 15
I have a pair that I used to use exclusively for music, but I haven't used them for years now. I think cnet doesn't know what they're talking about.

May 30, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 15
BTW if you're thinking about getting HD555's they're kind of a gateway drug into more expensive headphones (at least for me they were), so you might want to save some money/time and just skip them and go for HD600's or something comparable if you think you're going to get sucked into the headphone addiction.

Except then you'd need an amp... and a source...

May 30, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW if you're thinking about getting HD555's they're kind of a gateway drug into more expensive headphones (at least for me they were), so you might want to save some money/time and just skip them and go for HD600's or something comparable if you think you're going to get sucked into the headphone addiction.

Hell, just get the 650s. Oh wait, nvm, CNET said they don't work well with the iPod, sorry.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i was actually decideing between 485/555/595..
Is there a lot of difference between 595 and 555 ?
I am only interested in performance for music.

May 30, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 15
I got a pair just for music, and started to use it as well for games and movies. But that's just because I'm too lazy to swap phones.

May 30, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like this quote:
"On our reference Grado SR125 headphones..."

Now I know the SR125s are great headphones but reference? LMAO

It suggests in that price range as they can't compare RS-2s with a lower end can like HD555s.

May 30, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #14 of 15
HD555s are great and versatile. They'll handle music, movies and games all quite well but without the type of detail you'd get out of better phones. Still, they are worth it for the price and well worth checking out if you need an open pair of phones for two or more of these things.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back