HD555 / HD595
Jan 10, 2007 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Claus-DK

1000+ Head-Fier
I am at the moment considering one of those two cans, but it is quite hard to deside....

First of all do I need an an amp for any of these, I maly use Ipod

Are the 595 worth the extra 50 Euro ??

My music is toward hard/guitar rock and also some 80s pop..

Kind regards
Claus

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 29
No you do not need an amp for either one. I have the 555 and love it. I never heard the 595 so I dont know if it is worth the extra money. Some people say there is a big difference while others can barely notice a difference at all. Without an amp, I dont think there would be a major difference between the two. If you have the money I would get the 595 though just in case, but you cant go wrong with the 555 in my opinion. There great for games and movies as well. Many are probably going to recommend grado headphones but I didnt care for them since they are too harsh and bright for me. They also lack the soundstage of the 555/595.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 29
The HD555 should be good unamped. I've read that you have to have an amp to see more-than-subtle differences between the 555 and 595. I don't know how much Beyers cost in Denmark, but you might want to look into them; they're more energetic for rock (or at least the high-end models are).

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 29
^ i shouldve went straight for the hd595 too. i feel that the hd595's are perfect for generally everything and doesnt need a super expensive setup to achieve awesome sound.

i have the hd555 and it's great, but i want to "feel" like i have a better pair of phones... placebo effect works wonders if you ask me =D

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 29
Claus
I have both and I would recommend the 595's
they have a nice brightness but not harsh like some of the grado's. To get the best sound I would highly suggest a
Headphone amp that has tight bass and great width and transparency.

If you look around you can get the 595's new for around 140.00 add to not break the bank you can go with almost any of the portable amps just insure that they have a dip socket so you can change amp's .

Im currently using a Xm4 (www.practicaldevices.com)with a AD823 and the sound is ummm lets say amazing this is a combo I have yet to see anyone try. I am also going to try the op627's once my adaptor comes in but in all honesty as soon as I put the AD823 in I was like wow and for me being a musician that is rare. I rolled about 12 opamps so whats left is the op627's and the AD843's and see if I can get a better sound than now which I will eat that thing if I do.

good luck and get those 595's they are like mixing a Grado with the best of the HD650 more forward sounding
600smile.gif

Godspeed

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 29
You should go with the 595. Even though I have the 555, I know I will be getting the 595 eventually. If you get the 555, you will probably wonder what the 595 are like and end up getting them later on anyway like me.
icon10.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 29
that one...very much so.

hd595 should work fine unamped too, so you should get them then think about amplification. if you find them too quiet out of the ipod - then get an amp.

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that one...very much so.

hd595 should work fine unamped too, so you should get them then think about amplification. if you find them too quiet out of the ipod - then get an amp.

I agree. I really dont think you will need an amp.

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that one...very much so.

It's not a loudness issue... they are loud on an ipod at 1/4 volume, louder than the iBuds. It's just about the better SQ you get when you amp it to get more current.

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 29
Right the point is not loudness it is sound quality and also extension of your batterly life in your ipod or whatever source you use. A descent headphone amp will bring the 595's alive like you would not believe the bass with thump your head and im serious its like having a sub woofer in your head but even despite that its about the final sound output having a nice sounding opamp will really make the 595's sing

the microdot is fine any of them they are really not that different despite all the hype you hear people slew around
its all about the opamps and the noise level until you get into the macro size amps does any real true difference exist

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #14 of 29
Thanks for all your advice, this is such a nice place to be...
A subwoofer in my head sounds a bit cool..

BTW opamp ??? what does that mean ?? does it just mean more ampere (more power)

And WarMen your phones schould be a bit more towards the top of your body...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back