hd555 and x-fi help
Aug 29, 2007 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nmxdaven

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, first time "pretty decent" headphone owner with a few questions.

I drive the headphones from my logitech Z-5500 port.

1. Does it matter what sets the volume level? As it should I set the x-fi sound to 50% and control with the z-5500's to get the best sound or does it matter?

2. What is the "neutral" setting for the x-fi bass and treb slider bars? Would it be 50% is neutral or 0%?

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 7
50% is neutral for both bass and treble.

50-70% for main volume in windows volume control is a good setting, and put other sliders to max. This is when using amplifier for volume controlling.

Personally I think you are better off plugging the headphones directly to your soundcard and let X-Fis own amp-chip do the job. I dont know what kind of headphone amplifier is built inside that Logitech, but I doubt its anything good.

Plugging directly to soundcard might need more adjusting in volume panel. Adjust the main-slider to loudness you like, and keep other sliders in 30-50%

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 7
Oh, and for best soundquality, when listening music set X-Fi to Audio Creation mode, disable EAX and crystallizer crap.

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the info Maza.

What is the benefits of using audio creation? I also game a bit, would this disable anything of value?

Does the x-fi supply amplification then? I know its plenty to drive these speakers but could it drive something like the hd650?

Aug 30, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 7
x-fi has amplification but not enough to drive big headphones to listenable/comfy levels.

Aug 30, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdRobin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x-fi has amplification but not enough to drive big headphones to listenable/comfy levels.

Wasnt HD555 just 50ohms? Basic X-Fi should drive it with ease. Elite Pro with its upgraged opamp can drive headphones up to 250ohms without problems.

Quote:

What is the benefits of using audio creation? I also game a bit, would this disable anything of value?

It skips most of DSP stuff etc... You purest signal. Also enable Bit Accurate Playback in Creative Audio Console, you get even more unmolested signal if your mediaplayer supports ASIO output. (this renders windows volume control non-functional though, except main volume slider.

This, of course, isnt good for gaming. But you can switch back to Gaming mode whenever you like. It remembers the settings you had in Gaming Mode before switching to Audio Creation. To ease up the changing progress, install this:
http://www.freewebs.com/spectra9/xfmc.html

Handy toolbar tool for quick switching Modes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back