Hd555-595-600-650-The difference?
Jan 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

ok1907

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I am looking for new high end headphones and since I love the Sennheiser sound signature, I think the brand will be Sennheiser. From what I read from the reviews, I can say that they are all great headphones but after that reviews I am really confused. I love very big soundstage,bass,alive vocals and sparkling treble that doesn't fatigue. I should be able to listen all kinds of music with them. Of course comfort is important but all of them should be good at it I guess. By the way, I would love to be able to do different mods to get the best sq from them.

1)Does the ibasso t4 drive them well? If not,what amp do you suggest?
2)The price differences are very big. Do I get an equal sq leap for what I pay?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 33
the sennheisers do not need any mod...at least not a serious one, you can pull off the driver cover inside if you want (that's the only "mod" i heard of)
but IMO they realy DO NOT need any mod of you like the sound.

I suggest going straight to the hd600/650. 650 if you want a little bit warmer/darker/bassier sound signature, and the 600 if you want a rather more neutral sound.
I owned the HD595 in the past (they were my first full size headphone) and they were great for a starter audiophile cans,but the HD650 (have'nt heard the 600) are better. they have more bass and have more "weight" in their sound.
although...when I first got the HD650 , i was surprised to find that the difference between them and the HD595 is not night and day differnece like I thought it would be, but it's there indeed.

by the way, I don't know exactly what you mean by sparkling treble...but in that case probably the HD600 will be more to your liking becasue the 650's treble is a little rolled off, some (like me) prefer the 650's rolled off treble.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ok1907 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the answer. I think people don't have any information about them.

the senns are very popular around here. did you consider other headphones as well? I can't recommend you much because I don't own a lot of headphones and didn't listen to a lot also, but from what I have...the denon
D5000 and the grados are also great. I like them both more than the HD650.

what music do you listen to, and what is you budget for headphones?
do you like heavy bass presentation?

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the sennheisers do not need any mod...at least not a serious one, you can pull off the driver cover inside if you want (that's the only "mod" i heard of)
but IMO they realy DO NOT need any mod of you like the sound.

I took out the inner foam covers off and then removed the outer foam ring. The first is reversible, the second is not. But it does improve the sound quality by quite a bit. But other than that I have not heard of mods. (Also, don't fall for the whole cable shpeel, it's just a waste of money)

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took out the inner foam covers off and then removed the outer foam ring. The first is reversible, the second is not. But it does improve the sound quality by quite a bit. But other than that I have not heard of mods. (Also, don't fall for the whole cable shpeel, it's just a waste of money)

I am also not a great "cable believer" myself, and I never recabled any of my headphones.
anyway,a lot probably will disagree with your comment about cables. some cable upgrades changed the listening experience intirely for some head fiers, and I also can't totally disagree because I havn't tried it for myself.

anyway...you have the right to say your thought,but just add the words "in my opinion" just to avoid any nasty and unpleasent remarks from others that DO believe in cables. (unfortunately,there are always those looking for flames...and that's the reason the cables and sound science forums are existed for).
also notice,that the OP may be one of those that happy with their new cable.
normal_smile .gif
not meaning to offend or something...

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 33
Thanks guys. Shizdan, that review will help for sure. Plonter, my budget is $300 maximum. I love heavy bass presentation but mid-treble are as important as the bass. I may get some other branded headphones but since I don't have the chance to audition them, I better buy a sennheiser whose sound is familiar to me. By the way, are these headphones revised from time to time? I mean they are old
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Thanks guys. Shizdan, that review will help for sure. Plonter, my budget is $300 maximum. I love heavy bass presentation but mid-treble are as important as the bass. I may get some other branded headphones but since I don't have the chance to audition them, I better buy a sennheiser whose sound is familiar to me. By the way, are these headphones revised from time to time? I mean they are old
biggrin.gif

do you mean the senns are old? yes they are in the market for a long time,but they are still very popular and people are talking and praising them all the time despite their old age. if you can get HD650 within your budget it will be a steal price. hd600 you can get pretty easy I think...hd650 is harder to find in 300$ but maybe posible. ofcourse you can always get used if you want.
the haven't heard the HD600 but I own the HD650 and they are very good...have a very good deep bass and they are a little dark sounding, just as i like it. the treble is very very smooth and pleasent to listen to,but not too rolled off, you can still hear all the details.
comparing to the HD595 which is more upfront and farward sounding...a little piercing in the treble region,the HD650 is better overall IMO.
I suggest you choose between the HD650 and 600.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 33
I forgot mentioning my favourite genres. Classical,jazz,rock,pop,trance,techno,blues,acoust ic. I mean everything but mostly rock-pop-techno.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you mean the senns are old? yes they are in the market for a long time,but they are still very popular and people are talking and praising them all the time despite their old age. if you can get HD650 within your budget it will be a steal price. hd600 you can get pretty easy I think...hd650 is harder to find in 300$ but maybe posible. ofcourse you can always get used if you want.
the haven't heard the HD600 but I own the HD650 and they are very good...have a very good deep bass and they are a little dark sounding, just as i like it. the treble is very very smooth and pleasent to listen to,but not too rolled off, you can still hear all the details.
comparing to the HD595 which is more upfront and farward sounding...a little piercing in the treble region,the HD650 is better overall IMO.
I suggest you choose between the HD650 and 600.

Thanks. 600's and 650's are more difficult to drive. Do you think you have a good combo with your amps and sources?

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Thanks. 600's and 650's are more difficult to drive. Do you think you have a good combo with your amps and sources?

the best combo from the gear I own is with the headroom ultra micro amp which is the most powerfull and combines great pretty much with everything you throw at it. the sound is very powerful and accurate.
In second place, the earmax tube amp is also very nice with the HD650...giving much more warmer and "tubier" sound, but still drive them very effiecently.
about sources,I always use my ultra micro dac with all my amps.
the truth is that they DO need good amplification so take that into consideration. for a super effiecent headphone that you can play with your portable the HD595 is great, so if you don't plan getting an amp in the near future you can consider them, they are truly great imo.

if you plan to get an amp,you can get the HD650 and use them with what you have in the meantime. they are not THAT bad out of a portable...just not nearly as close to their full potential.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 33
I wouldn't bother with the HD650 if the T4 is your amp. These headphones need a desktop amp to shine. The HD600 is easier to drive, but I don't know if the T4 will adequately do it either. The HD595 is considerably easier to drive, easy enough for some mp3 players and sound cards to drive them to acceptable levels. But, the HD595 doesn't scale nearly as far, in comparison to the HD600 and HD650, when used with better gear.

I'd get the HD600 and a desktop amp, but if $300 is your absolute limit, then HD595. Buy used and you can resell them later at no loss when you do move onto a desktop system.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't bother with the HD650 if the T4 is your amp. These headphones need a desktop amp to shine. The HD600 is easier to drive, but I don't know if the T4 will adequately do it either. The HD595 is considerably easier to drive, easy enough for some mp3 players and sound cards to drive them to acceptable levels. But, the HD595 doesn't scale nearly as far, in comparison to the HD600 and HD650, when used with better gear.

I'd get the HD600 and a desktop amp, but if $300 is your absolute limit, then HD595. Buy used and you can resell them later at no loss when you do move onto a desktop system.

That makes sense. Actually, I will buy another amp but I will do that after buying the headphones. What desktop amp can make hd600's shine?

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 33
I own the sennheiser hd650, and I must say, they sound so great that i wouldn't want to take them off. I just love their sound signature, their veiled sound. Man I love it.
I would highly recommend hd650, as now the price difference between hd650 and hd600 does not differ a lot, I would recommend paying just a little more to try a higher line of sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back