hd5 - still competitive
Sep 3, 2006 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

astranovus

100+ Head-Fier
just picked up a new hd5 was a bargain-like 66 pounds, that's like 120 dollars.

20gb, nice sound quality, albeit with hiss on my cx300,
that goes if you amp though.

i'm not into video and fancy colour screens so this could be my player for next few years.

anybody else still like the hd5?

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mykol
Careful as they've been known to have a button-cracking issue.

i knew they were gonna crack, which they did after a week,
sony is fixing this for free for me,
this was agreed before i bought the player

for this price it's worth the hassle

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus
i knew they were gonna crack, which they did after a week,
sony is fixing this for free for me,
this was agreed before i bought the player

for this price it's worth the hassle

That's cool, man. Enjoy your new player and having to keep checking for cracks and sending it in for repair. I'll pass on the $120 hassle, thanks.

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

That's cool, man. Enjoy your new player and having to keep checking for cracks and sending it in for repair. I'll pass on the $120 hassle, thanks.

the new buttons don't crack, they are made of a different material,

i have a player from the first batch,
all later players have non-cracking buttons

Sep 3, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

the new buttons don't crack, they are made of a different material,

i have a player from the first batch,
all later players have non-cracking buttons

Yes, and since you have a first-batch player, my comment still stands. To me, it's a no-go if I'm going to buy a "new" player that I know will need repair in less than a week. Cosmetic repair, but it's still a hassle, and I'm pretty sure you have to pay for shipping to them. And then, there's the wait for them to ship back to you. I don't know if you would get a new, later-player with the non-cracking buttons as a replacement (I doubt it, actually), and if you did, that would bring up another hassle of re-loading your music to your new player. See where I'm going with why I said I would pass?
eggosmile.gif

Look, this will be the last time I'll view this thread as you don't have to convince me that it's a good player worth the hassle. But, it seems as if that's what you're trying to do to yourself. Good luck with that.

Sep 3, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Yes, and since you have a first-batch player, my comment still stands. To me, it's a no-go if I'm going to buy a "new" player that I know will need repair in less than a week. Cosmetic repair, but it's still a hassle, and I'm pretty sure you have to pay for shipping to them. And then, there's the wait for them to ship back to you. I don't know if you would get a new, later-player with the non-cracking buttons as a replacement (I doubt it, actually), and if you did, that would bring up another hassle of re-loading your music to your new player. See where I'm going with why I said I would pass?
eggosmile.gif

Look, this will be the last time I'll view this thread as you don't have to convince me that it's a good player worth the hassle. But, it seems as if that's what you're trying to do to yourself. Good luck with that.

lol, shipping was free, to sony and back,
you get a whole new case with new buttons, the same as the later batch,
i wouldn't have done this for a full priced player.

Sep 3, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 24
Ummmm, not to burst your bubble of lol, but I also agree it's not worth it -- free shipping and a new case, pshh, Sony can sell it to some other sucker. There are better alternatives out there without quality control problems. I bet you would be checking for cracks after you get your non-new HD5.
rolleyes.gif
Deny all you want... you know you will.

Sep 3, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by eefun
Ummmm, not to burst your bubble of lol, but I also agree it's not worth it -- free shipping and a new case, pshh, Sony can sell it to some other sucker. There are better alternatives out there without quality control problems. I bet you would be checking for cracks after you get your non-new HD5.
rolleyes.gif
Deny all you want... you know you will.

fair enough, i've had my share of portable players and this is up with the best sounding of them all and that is all that matters,
all that matters to me is soundquality and batterylife,

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

all that matters to me is soundquality

LOL I don't think so.
rolleyes.gif

people who say that all that matters to them is SQ would not be saying things like this: for me i have decided that 128 kb/s is totally adequate. Emphasis on adequate.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196809. read the replies of others as to what they think of your judgment on SQ.
580smile.gif

you're just coming up with excuses now for why you bought that HD5.
Quote:

Originally Posted by astrovanus
i wouldn't have done this for a full priced player.

you bought it b/c it was cheap. price was the deciding factor... not SQ or batterylife. live with your HD5 and its crap buttons and get on with it. no use for me coming back to see your "but but but" reply. peace.

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #11 of 24
What's up with the hate?

I think the Sony NW-HD5 is a pretty good player. The durability of its buttons fall into question, but its sound signature is excellent and it is both functional and very small (for a 20GB player) with some impressive battery life to boost.

The only problem I could see of the NW-HD5, besides the buttons, is SonicStage. However, that aside, it's a very pleasant and functional player that I don't feel really deserves all the antipathy being stirred.

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 24
the hd5 as a good player is not in question anymore. it is the thing you mentioned... buttons. just wait. astro will proclaim the goodness of his hd5, only to try to sell it a few weeks later... just like he tried to do with his rh1.
lambda.gif
but he got no buyers for his rh1 so he is back to praising it. there is a pattern with this guy.
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 24
Have to agree with 3X0, whats with the attitude?

In fairness to astranovus lots of people here have posted how they like the HD5 sound, and it gets a lot of good press. The Sony EQ is usually quite pleasing. The mainly problem people seemed to have was with hiss on the HD1/3, but otherwise they like the player. IMO Sonicstage is bearable once you get used to it, I'll never love it though. But with a 20GB player you don't use it that much. The Sony HD players are great devices in terms of size, battery life, and controls.

The RH1 is primarily a great recorder. Most people here are only interested in playback. Its a niche market, that doesn't negate IMO that its a great, probably the best MD/HiMD portable ever.

Sep 4, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #14 of 24
I had the HD5 for well over a year and never had any button cracking issues. Occasionally it froze on my which was fixed by reinserting the battery (only took a few seconds).

For sound quality, battery life and form factor it was hard to beat. For that kind of price I just might look into going with another one.

Sep 4, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #15 of 24
I have been extremely pleased with both players... the HD5 has no cracked buttons, nd has great sound and battery life, as others have said. I can only complain about a small hiss with my E2c, however, they work really nice with my senns PX-200.

An to be honest, I like the RH1 sound even better!... I am currently using the HD5 for long trips/car usage, and the RH1 for recordings and playback when I am in the mood of hearing absolute superb sound (to my tastes!)
k1000smile.gif

Ohh... and sonic stage works like a charm -updated to SS 4.0-, guess it depends on your computer as I have 1,5 GB RAM, so it is very fast. Has NEVER crashed on me-.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back