HD5: silver, black or red?
Jun 22, 2005 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DigDub

Headphoneus Supremus
i saw the red one and it looks incredibly sexy. the thing that is holding me back are the buttons that is reputed to crack easily. but i'm in asia, so i guess it won't affect the units. i like the built-in charger and usb ports, which was one of the main peeves i had with the hd3.

Jun 22, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 13
before purchasing my black hd5 three days ago, i did a lot of research on it. there have been many reported cases of cracking buttons. BUT these were all in the case of SILVER HD5s. Get a red or black one to be safe. I had a hard time deciding between red or black, but i figured red would get boring after a while, i would regret it in the long run.

Jun 22, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 13
I doubt there is a "safe" colour or batch of the NW-HD5 at this point. The vast majority of cracking reports have been about silver units so far, but silver was also the first colour available and is probably the one that has been and will be sold the most. But www.audiotstation.com and www.avforums.com have already had reports about black and red units with cracks, and at least one of them was bought in Hong Kong IIRC.

Björn

Jun 24, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohc
the sales rep at sonystyle told me that sonystyle is the exclusive seller of non-silver colored hd5s.

maybe in the U.S. i think for other countries, authorised sony dealers do carry all 3 colors. thats how i got the red one.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohc
the sales rep at sonystyle told me that sonystyle is the exclusive seller of non-silver colored hd5s.

Fry's Electronic's has all three colors and Sears (yes sears) has black ones

Jun 24, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
Fry's Electronic's has all three colors and Sears (yes sears) has black ones

More proof that SonyStyle reps are ignoramuses, I've seen black ones at sears too. (actually that's the first store I've seen to have them, then I went to CC and saw silver ones)...anyway, the one Sony rep I've talked to (in an outlet) actually knew what he was talking about, I was surprised! actually he was pretty cool.

I didn't really give the black one a good look, but the Silver is stunning...I must say, the first silver unit I've liked in a while.

Jun 26, 2005 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 13
I went and bought the Red one, was too sexy and tempting to pass when I saw the real thing in my hands. I was initially going to get the Silver one, but having seen the difference btw the product pics and real one, I decided not to get it, prob cos it doesn't look tat nice to me anymore, after ogling those product pics before the official launch.

DigDub, I'm from SG also. Just a question, you know where to get a fully functional remote for use with the HD5? As in all the features on the remote ctrl can be used with the HD5. Thanks, best if u can provide the local store add, I can only think of SLS and the Sony galleries so far.

Jun 26, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haonan
I went and bought the Red one, was too sexy and tempting to pass when I saw the real thing in my hands. I was initially going to get the Silver one, but having seen the difference btw the product pics and real one, I decided not to get it, prob cos it doesn't look tat nice to me anymore, after ogling those product pics before the official launch.

DigDub, I'm from SG also. Just a question, you know where to get a fully functional remote for use with the HD5? As in all the features on the remote ctrl can be used with the HD5. Thanks, best if u can provide the local store add, I can only think of SLS and the Sony galleries so far.

sls and sony galleries don't sell the remotes. the only shop that i know of that sells the remotes is the sony square at wisma atria. at least that is what the sony galleries shop told me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Is it possible to use a remote while using an amp? Something like DAP -> remote -> amp -> headphones? If you switch the hd5 to line-out mode will this still work?

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 13
non of the above?

Jun 27, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog311
non of the above?

If you have no constructive comments to make, pls **** and leave this thread for the HD5 owners or to-be owners. Simply thread-trolling is definitely not welcomed here.

To DigDub, so you hav no idea which remote models are compatible with the HD5? Anyone else knows? TIA.

Jun 28, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haonan

If you have no constructive comments to make, pls **** and leave this thread for the HD5 owners or to-be owners. Simply thread-trolling is definitely not welcomed here.

To DigDub, so you hav no idea which remote models are compatible with the HD5? Anyone else knows? TIA.

i have no idea. but i have a remote from the rh910 hi-MD unit and it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back