HD495 or HD570
May 15, 2002 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jda

New Head-Fier
I live in Australia so when it comes to headphoes there is not much choice. At the moment the only two that I think are worth getting are the Sennheiser HD495 or the HD570, these are the only ones on my list that I can actually find here in Australia.

I need them for home and work use, and I listen to all types of music from classical to rock. I have read from this forum that the HD570 is not a really good. I do prefer the of the 570 to the 495 because I will be using them at work and I don't want people looking in doing a double take. The 495s look cheap and plasic to me.

Anyway what do all you think, I'm new to this area so I need help.

PS: If any Australians know where I can get the HD580 in Melbourne please let me know.

May 15, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 5
The 495's are very comfortable, but sound rather distant and are hard to drive. You will be dissatisfied with their sound for rock, as their presentation is not really upfront enough to make the music exciting.

May 15, 2002 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 5
jda - Beyerdynamic headphones are very well priced in Australia, you may want to consider something from their range. eg: the Beyer 250-80s will set you back around $275AU, they're closed format (don't leak sound) sound great and are easy to drive.
Another alternative are the Beyer DT531s, they're around $245AU, open format (leak some sound) are relatively easy to drive and currently my favourite headphone.

Also, what kind of source will you be using to drive your headphones?

May 16, 2002 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 5
Pass on the 570's. They are ok for classical (that is what they were made forO. But have too much high end for most other music. For rock, you will despise them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back