HD495 burn in?
Dec 24, 2001 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

vikingnaya

New Head-Fier
I have a new pair of HD495 for couple of days. Even with my Porta Corda, the bass is not really impressive. I did burn it in for like 30 hours straight. Will it get better?

Dec 24, 2001 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 27
^^ I¡@dont know if I mention this in earlier thread. if i did, i apologize. I don't think this headphone is damaged though. It does have bass, just not impressive. for example, the song i am listening right now, Smash Pumpkins' "the end is the beginning is the end", the drums seem so little, comparing to guitar riff and vocal. It's not just little bass, it also muddy.

Dec 24, 2001 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 27
uh, someone just complained about a similar problem..... i just didnt know if it was you....

Uh, i dont know what the reason could be..... like I said, I vote for it being damaged, but that's just me.

Dec 24, 2001 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 27
^^ I¡@dont know if I mention this in earlier thread. if i did, i apologize. I don't think this headphone is damaged though. It does have bass, just not impressive. for example, the song i am listening right now, Smash Pumpkins' "the end is the beginning is the end", the drums seem so little, comparing to guitar riff and vocal. It's not just little bass, it also muddy.

Dec 24, 2001 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 27
Hmm, i have the 495's and dont think much of the sound...maybe their overrated? I dunno, the sound didnt impress me much at all...just my opinion.

George

Dec 24, 2001 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 27
I would be willing to bet that he isn't used to a sound that isn't so bassy. Most people get used to a duhm-bass style sound. Compared to most stuff I hear other people play music on, my HD600s sound downright anemic in the bass area. And then my brain re-equalizes for the proper sound.

The HD495s weakness is their bass, it is something they don't put out as much as many other headphones.

Dec 24, 2001 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 27
Just curious...do you know that they don't sound bassy enough? What i mean is, did you try them out in a store, and they don't seem to have the same bass? Or did you just blindly order these online?

Dec 24, 2001 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 27
don't expect mad boomy bass, i'm sure you don't, it's a laid back sennheiser sound, with transparent bass it's not as impactful as grado's but it's very good and fluid

i'd say hrm...

run pink noise for a few days
try it again

run the pink noise at loud listening level, but not excessive or else you'll blow them. it should loosen up the diaphram and surrounds quick

Dec 24, 2001 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 27
Hmm....when amped well, the 495s have decent bass - but they really shine with a clear, crisp midrange, nice "snap," and clean highs.........if you want bassy cans, go get V6s or something.

rolleyes.gif

Dec 24, 2001 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 27
It was me that was complaining about the bass on the hd495's. In fact I was complaining about alot more than just the bass. I have, however, changed my tune over the last week. I also did a so-called 'burn-in' of a couple dozen hours and I do think it helped conciderably, though the basses are still very subdued. I might be stretching for reasons to like my 495's but I think their inefficiency may be a blessing in disguise; it seems to give them more balance across the dynamic range, preventing the basses from assuming more of a presence than I think they ought to. Of course I listen to alot of classical music and so this might only be seen as a benefit in my eyes...I mean ears.

Dec 25, 2001 at 3:01 AM Post #15 of 27
Hey guys - glad to see I've got real buddies out here
biggrin.gif

TO be honest, the main culprit is homework and.......the damn excite@home ********* peeps. GRRRR....i had (have) no net at my primary residence with my mom.

I'm with my dad for christmas, tho, so, that's why I'm back.

I've missed ya'll........and, well, the vij is back
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back