HD485 vs. HD515 vs. HD555
Nov 25, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #16 of 29
Well HD485 do have boomy bass but they are suitable for most styles of music. They are very good for the price IMO.

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #17 of 29
Serious recommendations for the 485? *blinks* I'm sorry, I'm sure it does sound good to the people who are recommending it but...it has to be the *worst* headphone for the price that I've heard! The bass is just a dull thump. Listening to them (from a decent Naim system) was like being hit around the head with cushions - whump, whump, whump.

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Serious recommendations for the 485? *blinks* I'm sorry, I'm sure it does sound good to the people who are recommending it but...it has to be the *worst* headphone for the price that I've heard! The bass is just a dull thump. Listening to them (from a decent Naim system) was like being hit around the head with cushions - whump, whump, whump.

So what would you recommend then? MS1 or some Grados? Well these headphones don't have enough bass for most electronic or hiphop fans. Its all about what music you like. I'm sure MS1 and Grados are much better for rock though
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trilex56 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems there is a boom around 10K

I think the frequency response curve for these cans backs that up, but I didn't expect it to be this unpleasant.

Yeah they do have exegerated highs but not nearly as much as my DT990pro. You better not get those, they have ear piercing highs
eek.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well HD485 do have boomy bass but they are suitable for most styles of music. They are very good for the price IMO.

IMO no, their bass is not "boomy", because it is tight and it's well articulated. It's a bit higher in level than ideal, that's it. But you only perceive it so soon after putting on the headphones, then things tend to level out and you don't nearly notice it anymore at all; and the rest of the spectrum is very good for an inexpensive headphone.

Nov 25, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what would you recommend then? MS1 or some Grados? Well these headphones don't have enough bass for most electronic or hiphop fans. Its all about what music you like. I'm sure MS1 and Grados are much better for rock though
smily_headphones1.gif

K81DJs sounded good to me for the price

Nov 25, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

K81DJs sounded good to me for the price

HD485 are more comfortable. K81DJ are only good for portable use (short trips) and DJing.

Nov 25, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

I'm sure I know the reason for your findings: you used the HD485 attached to a high impedance headphone output, such as that of a integrated speaker amp. That's no good, for a 32 ohm headphone that has the impedance curve of the HD485 (common thing for Senns, part of the driver design I guess). Try it with a good little headphone amp, already!
smily_headphones1.gif

One headphone that is known for truly having booomy bass is the K81DJ (hence "DJ" perhaps
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Nov 25, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #24 of 29
I was listening with a Naim Headline 2. It did seem to have a spike in the lower mid-bass so that could explain what I was hearing. If that's the case, put this one down to terrible synergy.

Nov 25, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

I was listening with a Naim Headline 2. It did seem to have a spike in the lower mid-bass so that could explain what I was hearing. If that's the case, put this one down to terrible synergy.

Also, you have to pair the headphones with the kind of audio devices they were intended for, in order to get the best out of them. Many portable players have weak bass, say, iPods...

I have found that a good portable amp (C&C BOX V2, in my case) lets the HD485 shine (with a good PCDP as the source, and a good mini interconnect). All's in pretty good balance from top to bottom, without any bass boominess.

Nov 25, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #26 of 29
I've got the 485s and K81s. They sound pretty good to me driven by a mini3 amp which tightens the bass up nicely. They're not disimilar to the PX100s in fact, i.e. fat bass, a little rolled off mids. Quite decent for the price. Now if you want to talk boomy bass look no further than the K81s. Mine have all the customary mods and when I compared them to the 485s it felt like I'd fallen into a subwoofer

Nov 25, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bernado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the 485s and K81s. They sound pretty good to me driven by a mini3 amp which tightens the bass up nicely. They're not disimilar to the PX100s in fact, i.e. fat bass, a little rolled off mids. Quite decent for the price. Now if you want to talk boomy bass look no further than the K81s. Mine have all the customary mods and when I compared them to the 485s it felt like I'd fallen into a subwoofer

That is interesting. Few days ago I was comparing K81s and HD485 listening to some electronica out of my cd player with no amp and I swear the K81DJ had tighter bass and HD485 was more boomy and I actually prefered HD485 for electronica. HD485 sounded more fun and had better highs and soundstage. Not by much though.

I'll see if things change when my Arietta arrives.

Nov 25, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #28 of 29
The 485 needs some burning in, smooths the treble and tames the bass.

Nov 25, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 485 needs some burning in, smooths the treble and tames the bass.

That's true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back