HD485 "popping"?
May 3, 2007 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

qazwsx

500+ Head-Fier
So I got my HD485 yesterday. Burned them in a little bit, and I like their sound signature. BUT I can't even one bit not notice "popping" in both drivers. It's pretty unnatural "popping", like some is typewriting behind me or something. I'm not even listening all that loud, just slightly above normal, 50% volume, and they pop at bass notes. Is this a normal occurance (i.e. they can't handle my music and are a return) or are my pair defective?

May 3, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 10
I am assuming this happens only when you are listening off your comp. In which case its the buffer settings. If you are using ASIO and trying to upsample, if your system cannot handle it, it causes popping. Also try getting rid of all plugins on foobar and not run any other programs in windows and check if it still happens.

May 3, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the quick reply--I turned off the EQ settings, and the popping is no longer there. But, I'm pretty disappointed with it, simply its bass potential. I can't seem to EQ it one bit.

Does the K81DJ have more bass potiential? (i.e. the ability to be EQ-ed and not be picky)

May 3, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm not sure the popping is because of the bass reproducing abilities of the HP. Plugins in foobar add to the overall load and if your system cannot handle it, you will get popping and crackling noises. You will have the same issue with the K81's as well. I suggest you keep the 485's and look for a better soundcard or better still, get a better comp or upgrade your current config.

But from a purely HP POV, the K81's certainly have lot more bass although they tend to sound boomy. 485's have pretty good bass capabilities as well.

May 3, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 10
Yes, but this never happens with my eH350, so I doubt the computer's soundcard is causing the problem. The problem with the eH350 is that although they have great bass potiential, their bass is very weak to start with.

May 3, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 10
Maybe you werent noticing it on your other HP's? I really dont see why HP's should be the cause for popping or crackling, unless your EQ is pushed so way up that it is clipping.

Have you tried the 485's with the mp3 player? If the popping/crackling occurs then as well, then maybe its the HP's. But I still strongly doubt it.

May 3, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 10
Well, my iPod was dead, though I was able to get the Sansa to go. The EQ was turned off. I set it at normal volume, and it sounds fine, although if loud enough, I do seem to get it again. My thought is simply the HD485 won't cut it with me. The headphones don't seem defective, and I'd think if they were they would break-up easier.

I'll probably look into the K81DJ, but are those less sensitive to EQs?

May 4, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 10
This is a problem I never noticed with my 485, even at loud volumes. But maybe you are listening at extreamly loud volume.

When I sold them to my friend and listened to them on his computer they sounded horrible, then I listened to them on his creative nano and the sound was pretty good.

I have noticed that it is often the amp in the soundcard that is bad, not the DAC, this could explain why a different phone sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back