HD485 First Impressions
Feb 27, 2006 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

robertburchell

Head-Fier
Just recieved my 485's a few days ago, and thought Id pop on here and give a quick review (since there arent to many on here as of yet)

Build quality of these cans is great, nothing cheap feeling about them. They are very light and very comfortable. A soft velour type padding is used on the headband and cups. I was concerned a bit before I got them that the earcups would be a bit small and crowd my ears; this however is not the case. I have pretty big ears, and they fit with room to spare.

Ive heard alot online that these cans REALLY need a good 50+ hours of break in, And let me tell you, this is VERY true. My first listen had me in total regret. The bass was far to boomy, the highs too rolled off, and the midrange seemed very distant, as if the cans where being held a foot away from ears.
But I stuck with them, and 40 hours later, these things are rocking. The bass seems to have tighened up significantly, it has become exactly what I wanted, Nice tight, punchy and deep. The midrange has really made its way to the surface, I found male vocals in particular seemed very distant at first, creating a rather uninspiring sound, but this is no longer the case. The highs didint seem to change as significantly unfortuantly (however a little EQing changes this
wink.gif
). I was a little afraid that they might be a little lacking with acoustic music and jazz (since everyone raves about there rock/electronica performance). I was pleasently suprised however that they handled my DMB, Eric clapton, steeley dan and other similair types of acoustic/blues/jazz music very well, guitars and horn instruments came through with excellent clarity. I ran some classicals through them however and did find that during very complex music, they seemed to muddy up a little in the low end, But I dont listen classical so much anymore, and when I do, its on my loudspeakers.

for around $60 Im not sure if you can do much better (eh-350, sr-60 maybe ?) Be advised though, These cans really do need to be burnt in for at least 30 hours. Also the headband seems pretty tight at first, which gets a little uncomfy after 30 minutes or so. luckily my pair seems to have losened its grip, and now there very comfy after hours and hours.

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 4
agreed.

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 4
Have that feeling to, I mean the booming sound. Well just wondering what kind of music did you use to brake them. I have them not that long and so far use only Pink Floyd and Robert Plant. Second question is the volume level, how do I have to set it. Bit higher than normal, normal or…
Thanks for your advice
eggosmile.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 4
I ran mostly Dave matthews through them to be honest, slightly above average volume. That boom really does go away after some burn in. I just let mine play over night, Ive prolly got a good 60 ours on them now, and there getting better and better. Dont get me wrong, there still very bass heavy cans, but at first there really loosey goosey. give em some time and they tighten up significantly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back