HD485 advice..
Dec 7, 2007 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aydin1

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm new here, and I've been reading through many of the posts and they've been really helpful.

I'm considering buying a pair of Sennheiser HD485's, but I just have a few concerns..

I'm going to be using them mainly to listen to music, but also quite often for gaming/movies. One of the things I've noticed is that a lot of people have mentioned that they can be a bit heavy on the bass.

Now I'm a big progressive rock/metal fan (My likes range from Dream Theater, to Rush, to Mike Oldfield). I like to have a nice bit of bass behind my music to make the heavy parts sound, well, heavy. But what I'm concerned about is whether the bass will end up drowning out many of the intricate parts that are common in progressive music.

I'm just looking for a few opinions on whether these would be a good choice or not. They look really comfortable, and I've used Sennheiser headphones before and they sounded and fitted great, so I just want some reassurance that they'll do my music justice.

Thanks,

aydin
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 9
I have em and they're quite good imho[the best disc I've heard on em is the Audio Fidelity gold disc of Bad Company's first album....amazing].

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 9
The Hd485 is quite fine (for its price), especially when being compared to the more prominent HD555. However, if you long for better detailling abilities for progressive & metal, Alessandro MS1 is the way to go.

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the replies..

The MS1's sound like a good pair of headphones, but they don't look like they would be comfortable for long periods of time. They don't seem to have anywhere near as much padding as the HD485's, and I will quite often be wearing them for 2 or more hours, so comfort is quite important.

Dec 9, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 9
I owned the HD485s. The prominent bass tends to overwhelm the mids. I would not get them as rock cans. MS1s or SR80s bury them in the rock department.

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 9
The MS1 can be worn for quite a long time, as it is light like a feather.

Dec 9, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 9
ive had them for a month now, at first i found the bass to be slightly overpowering. however after alot of burn in it tightens up and they turn out to be a pretty fun listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back