hd465 & hd485 on ebay, anyone tested them?
Mar 7, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 21
I just bought the HD485 from newegg.com HERE They should arrive soon. They have them for $60 with free shipping!!

Mar 8, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 21
The both seem very interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing them in shops here around...

Mar 11, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 21
I got my 485s from newegg today. I can't really comment on the sound because I am at work. They are solidly built, and I really like the included headphone mount. I only listened for a second, but they sounded very nice. At the same position on the volume knob, they are about as loud as my Koss Porta Pros and the bass goes way lower. I am listening on a nice unbuffered cmoy w/ o input caps. I can't wait to try them at home, they seem like an awesome deal so far. Someone with extra large ears would probably want to try them on before buying.

Mar 11, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 21
Great! You're the first HD485 owner I know of. Congrats.
tongue.gif

Please post your impressions later...
veery anxious to know more...

Mar 11, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 21
I'm not an audophile like most of the folks here at Head-fi so I'm going to explain everything without using the usual lingo that 500+ post members use.

First, like dr_digits stated, they are solidly built. The pads are semi-circumaural like the 497/212, except they feel velvety. I spent 2 hours straight with them on and in my opinion, they are very comfortable.

The results were very different (but not bad) using my 3rd gen ipod compared to attached to my computer through my audigy gamer sound card. I found the bass to be more punchy using my ipod.

Here are the songs(at 224kbps) I listened to using my computer sound card at the headphone setting:

The following songs had very Clear treble. The phones handle bass well. They didn't sound muddy. The separation of instruments was good.

1) Tangerine Dream - Little Blond In The Park Of Attractions
2) Tool - Sober
3) Frank Sinatra - Summer Wind
4) Information Society - Pure Energy
5) Yanni - The rain must fall
6) America - Tin man
7) Ozzy - See you on the other side

If I was at a concert, I would feel like I was sitting about ten rows from the front. As a point of reference, the grado SR60 feels like I'm on stage standing in the center of the band.

At the price of $60 that I paid at newegg.com they are great headphones, but my pair of HD535 are far better sounding and the Technics 1200A handle bass much better.

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 21
what is this 535? never heard of it

nice review btw. plz give more comments as they burn in more
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 21
ajm07,

Thanks for the review
smily_headphones1.gif
. Could be worth looking in to, if they ever come out here in the UK...

I know you've been listening to them from the inside, but can you comment on how much they leak out? For example, what are the like compared with your SR-60's? Just curious
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,

Dave.

Mar 11, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
what is this 535? never heard of it

nice review btw. plz give more comments as they burn in more
biggrin.gif

The HD535 is a large, 1995-1998 generation full-sized headphone which was replaced by the abomitable "bionetic" HD500 in 1999. Sennheiser goofed in 1999 - and then tried to right that wrong by replacing the HD500 with the HD515 this past year.

Mar 11, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 21
Very little leakage. I have them attached to my Logitech 5300 speaker system which is attached to an Audigy gamer sound card. I tested them again with the same songs with the volume set to around 6 out of 10 which is a comfortable level for me and maybe a little loud for some. If I was standing about 2 feet from the phones, I could hear them slightly. Any farther and the sound would be non existant.

The Grado SR60 is much louder at the same volume level.

Mar 12, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 21
My impressions of the 485 will have to wait until I bring my USB soundcard home from work. I figured out that the resampling of the audio in Windows is messing with the sound from the digital out. On the plus side, these headphones are at least good enough to hear that problem. I'm going to leave them breaking in until I can bring home a better digital source. So far the best part is the included headphone clamp. I attached it to my desk and the phones look really nice just hanging there. The cord and plug construction is also a notch or two above what I was expecting, the 1/4" adapter really makes a solid connection. Sorry I can't say more.

Mar 12, 2005 at 10:06 AM Post #15 of 21
Thank you to you both for now. So far it seems an interesting headphone.

ajm07 -- I think that a comparison with the SR60 would be very nice. Better still if you're able to use 'uncompressed' music though.
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back