HD437 simple mod (!!56k WARNING!! - PICS)
Jul 19, 2009 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kurtzi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I have a cheap HD437 that i've almost never used. Too muddy sound, tons of dark bass and hurting dirty highs, but not much else. I decided to try this little and very simple mod to see if I was able to recover it a bit...

Here are a couple of nice big pads from an old, now gone, cheap tv-like no-brand headphone. I think that there are a lot of pads that could fit. IMO, bigger is better, because they can be wrapped easily around the cups. I cutted a little space to fit the cable:

IMG_0112.jpg

Then I removed the original Senn pads. There are two layers of foam on this
things + the fabric layer. I fixed the drivers to the cup with some duct tape
to avoid rattle:

IMG_0114.jpg

Finally, I've put the pads on. This is the final result:

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

The sound is now much more airy and really opened up, it's still warm, but there are more audible details, the bass is still heavy and hits very hard, but has lost that original muddy tone and trebles are no more hurting to my ears.
I've done some AB tests with px100 and the HD437 has now better overall clarity and soundstage, to the point that I cannot put it down... It now handles well even some distortion-obsessive tracks that are very difficult to reproduce for a lot of cans like Infested's "Spinless" or Origin's "Larvae Of The Lie" (in particular, Origin's hyperfast technical death metal never sounded so good to me, with punchy, separated sound reproduction).

Hope you enjoy
Cheers
K

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might be trying a similar mod on my headphones soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Getting my Beyer pads in a few days and I'll be doing a similar mod to lift the veil a bit.

You will not be disappointed I think. In the last days I cannot take this thing out of my head. I especially like the way details in the trebles really open up.

Cheers
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back