HD3 Dissection part II
Sep 6, 2005 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mudlouse

Head-Fier
Looks like I got bored and decided to take apart my HD3 to post pics of it over the Internet... nah, there's a good reason which will be explained later on.

So, continuing from cykalan's thread, here's some more detailed images and useful tips on taking apart the HD3.

1.jpg

Basically, I wanted to swap the metal casing of the black with the silver. This was because the original silver unit had a scuffed case and the black unit was perfect apart from a busted screen. There's already pictures of many exterior shots in the original thread, so let's skip straight to the innards.

2.jpg
15.jpg

When sliding off the casing, you'll find a ribbon cable connecting the pcb to the front panel buttons, be careful not to tear this. Unlike most ribbon connectors, you simply flip up the terminal flap to "unclamp" the cable (see below). The acrylic/plastic screen on the front does not look like it can be easily removed, it's probably glued to the metal.

4a.jpg
4b.jpg

This is the second ribbon cable, this one is for the panel controls on the top of the player.

9.jpg
14.jpg

The left picture shows the ribbon from the top control panel. The right shows the side of the casing once the side plating has been removed.

3.jpg
11.jpg

The battery is actually smaller than those found in mobile phones, i'm amazed that it can actually power a mechanical drive.

5b.jpg
5a.jpg

The USB/power connection socket is covered by some metal plating, which comes off easily. It's actually easier to put on after the insides are slid back into the casing.

6.jpg
19.jpg

On the left is the bottom panel that houses the Hold and Battery buttons. Note the "fixtures" on the panel, this means you have to slide the panel to get it on or off the unit, do not just force it on or off. The picture on the right shows the side plating, socket plating and another piece of metal plating that screws onto the top left of the pcb (see below). I assume it has two main functions, a) to protect the HD ribbon cable and b) to secure the side plating once screwed in.

12.jpg
13.jpg

These are just shots to show how amazingly well thought out the HD3 is (in terms of build). The screws that are used are just to miniscule!

17.jpg
18.jpg

Here is the ribbon cable from the HD to the unit itself. The picture on the right shows that the EL panel (the "sheet" that lights up the screen) is actually soldered onto the pcb directly. This means that to remove the screen, soldering is required.

7a.jpg
7b.jpg

This is an overall shot of the front and back of the pcb attached to the HD.

16.jpg
20.jpg

A slightly closer shot of the front and back of the pcb. I would have taken off the screen to reveal chips and other goodies, but I'm just too lazy to break out the soldering iron. Yes, I know the screen is broken!

8a.jpg
8b.jpg

Finally, here's the "frame" that holds the HD and pcb in place, I think it's made from aluminium and the whole things is very flimsy meaning most of the ridged-ness comes from the casing itself. You will also notice the silicone/rubbery material, this protects the HD and the black plastic sheet stops connections on the pcb from shorting out. The top panel cannot be easily removed from the frame.

Alright, that's all the images I have for now. I thought that if I was going to take the unit(s) apart anway, I might as well share it with everyone. I didn't have time to mark all the locations for the screws, but I may get around to that later. I also have high-res versions, but i'll only post those if there's enough demand as I have limited bandwidth.

Hope that was useful, if not, interesting to some!
580smile.gif

Sep 7, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
So the big Q is - does it work post transplant?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aye!

21.jpg
22.jpg

not sure about everyone else, but i prefer the white backlit screen with the black unit rather than the blue!

it's also very handy to have a working unit on hand. since i cannot navigate with a broken screen, i just simply map the controls by having a hd3 in each hand. the now silver unit works perfectly apart from the screen, not bad for £40 from ebay - all accessories. if it comes to it, i can always buy the rm40 remote to get back some functionaility.

Sep 8, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 14
Hello there. I'm about to open my 2 HD3's (both silver if you're wondering) again to do some transplant and repair work and I've got some questions that you mudlouse might answer please:

First question: Regarding your second picture showing the ribbon cable for the play functions that connects to the 'terminal flap'. Being an absolute clot using excessive force, I have broken the flap off, exposing the copper wires and disabling the play functions. Is there anyway to fix this manually? I've tried using some extremely thin copper wires and I found by jiggling around with the exposed wires you could use the player as if you were using the buttons. However, you couldn't determine which play functions you wanted.

Secondly: How do you remove the wires from the battery, from the white 'box' (picture 8)? Do you simply pinch the wires and pull, or is there a more delicate way?

And lastly: What were the model numbers of the hard drives in your HD3's? Mine were MK2006GAL and MK2004GAL. I think that the 2006 model has the 'G-sensor' technology Sony touts, whereas the 2004 - which is used in the ipod funnily enough - doesn't and hence the frequent hard drive ****-ups. Correct me if I'm wrong, as this was only an assumption.

Please reply becasue I'm going to be doing the surgery right now
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 14
are you able to take any pictures of the flap? i don't know what it looks like with it broken off, but i assume you can just hold the ribbon cable on with blue-tack or tape.

for the battery, there's no obvious notch on the white connector so i just gently pulled on the cable. if you're worried the cable will come off the male connector, just "wriggle" it out a little then use a flat head screw driver to pry it out.

not sure about the HD model numbers, my hi-res shots tell me that one is definetly a 2004. the other, i'm too lazy to take it apart. you can always google it but bear in mind that G-Protection will probably be called something else on the spec page.

Sep 8, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudlouse
not sure about everyone else, but i prefer the white backlit screen with the black unit rather than the blue!

You know what I'd do? I'd take the black controls and screen surround of the silver and put them on the black...

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 14
WOOHOO!!! I've now managed to restore full functionality to my old HD3 and now works perfectly. It turns out that I was inserting the ribbon incorrectly. It's meant to go UNDER the 2 tiny metal ' notches' on either side - not a very good description but at least it works now! I've also realised that the brown flap simply holds the ribbon in place, rather than actually be involved with the actual operation of the play buttons. So I just used a tiny piece of tape to secure it. Only worry now is if excessive heat will cause the tape to lose its adhesion.

As for the other HD3, I've been able to restore power but gets as far as the walkman start-up logo and then cuts out. I've read about this happening quite often in different circumstances. In my case it would be a 50cm drop onto a hard canteen floor.

Anyone have clues as to what could be the cause?

And thanks mudlouse for your reply, although I did manage to fix it by myself, so I'm feeling pleased.
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 14
that sounds like good news, now if only we can put our broken units together we'll have another working one!
biggrin.gif

i've dropped my unit several times, but never when it's out of the case though.

Sep 9, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 14
I've never dropped any hard-drive out of it's case. It just so happens that the first time I dropped the MK2004GAL HD3 (the one which only gets to the walkman logo), it conks out completely.

But my 9 month old HD3 with the MK2006GAL hard-drive has been dropped numerous and hasn't failed once.

Which must mean that the MK2006GAL has the G-sensor protection.

Sep 9, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow
I've never dropped any hard-drive out of it's case. It just so happens that the first time I dropped the MK2004GAL HD3 (the one which only gets to the walkman logo), it conks out completely.

But my 9 month old HD3 with the MK2006GAL hard-drive has been dropped numerous and hasn't failed once.

Which must mean that the MK2006GAL has the G-sensor protection.

both models have g-sensor protection, i assume this because sony has advertised it on the hd3 packaging.

i've also looked up the specs of both models and it seems that the 2004 has a max operating shock of 250g (g as in gravity, not grammes) and the 2006 has upto 500g. the non operating shock (when it's off) is 1000g and 1500g respectively.

i'm no physicist, but it's conceivable that when you drop a hd3, the shock falls between the two tolerances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back