HD280s... stick with 'em? buy an amp? return?
Aug 29, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by eladioc
I have both the K81DJ and the K240S. While I like the soundstage of the 240 and the comfort of circumaural headphones, I think the K81DJ sounds better. The bass is tighter and the highs are sharper too. I can't really define how I feel in audiophile terms, but they are just more enjoyable.

I really liked the K240S when I first got them; they were my favorites, but I've been liking my SR60's and K81's a lot more lately... I don't know exactly why. The K81's are good for the money. I think you can't go wrong with either one, but I recommend the K81DJ for you.

thanks for your review! i'll do a lot more researching by tonight and will pick up my new set of headphones tomorrow!

Aug 29, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #17 of 37
I have the 280s as well, and I'd have to agree with most of the things said... Unamped, they are rather dull. They get better after some burn-in, but probably aren't up to the standards set by headphones intended for music. My impression is that these are designed for making music, not listening to it - they will tell you quite well what the track itself sounds like, but don't impart any personality to it.

The bass is rather weak as well, an amp helps here. The cMoy I have helps considerably and makes the sound more enjoyable. It is probably better to just start with a more musical headphone though.

Also, I'm just starting to have durability problems after 8 or 9 months of daily use. The headband is starting to crack in a few places...
frown.gif

These are the first not-$20 headphones I've had (got them for $80) and I'm happy with what they are, but looking back, I think there are definitely better choices out there. I haven't listened to any other quality headphones (apart from some sony studio monitors, I forget the model), so take this with a grain of salt.

These are not headphones for a basshead. They just aren't and although they can be modded to be better, again I'd recommend starting with something better.

Aug 29, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #18 of 37
man, I personally thought the HD280 had a load of bass kick when I heard it. more than my ATs.... I was running them out of my old pioneer receiver, and I've noticed it tends to add a little punch to whatever can it's driving, so maybe the choice of source and amp in that case was having some sway, but I found it plenty bassy.. like, as in 'I could get used to this
smily_headphones1.gif
, but maybe not anything more...'. (I don't use it that often for cans. It's old and creates noticeable background hiss if I don't have the audio muting switch flipped on. Don't know if this is because it's getting old (still throws off very little DC offset. less than 5 mV in each channel), or if cans in the 70's were generally less sensitive than modern audio technicas.)

uh anyways, rambling aside, I thought they sounded OK basswise. convinced me to look for something a little more bassy than the cans I currently own just to mix things up... Haven't done that yet though.

Aug 30, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #19 of 37
I really don't care for the HD280 at all. I had them for nearly a year before finding Head-Fi and trying something better. I'd trust them for monitoring a mix, but they're too cold and lifeless for anything else.

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #20 of 37
The HD280 is my perfect closed can. I don't want a can that adds a big old bass hump. I want a can that lets me listen to the music as it was laid down. That said, if you want more thump in a can, you definately need to look elsewhere. My grados have way more impact, as close as you are going to get to the bass thump in a headphone. People bitch and complain about the headband cracking, I've never seen it, had mine a couple of years now. Hat size is 7 3/4. Maybe people with oversized heads have problems.

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gremlin
People bitch and complain about the headband cracking, I've never seen it, had mine a couple of years now.

So you're basically saying that "mine hasn't cracked therefore noone else's can crack either".

Every single person I know who has had HD280 has complained about the headband cracking (excluding you). Also the sound quality of HD280 is nowhere near great or even good but amping them can help a bit.

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gremlin
The HD280 is my perfect closed can. I don't want a can that adds a big old bass hump. I want a can that lets me listen to the music as it was laid down. That said, if you want more thump in a can, you definately need to look elsewhere. My grados have way more impact, as close as you are going to get to the bass thump in a headphone. People bitch and complain about the headband cracking, I've never seen it, had mine a couple of years now. Hat size is 7 3/4. Maybe people with oversized heads have problems.

If you think the 280 presents musical recordings as the tracks were laid on tape... youre seriously depriving yourself of recorded dynamics and tembral accuracy. At least thats what I found with my guitar sessions.

Youre 1 user out of countless others who doesn't have a cracked headband. Consider yourself unlucky... you'd be better off with a cracked headband and the desire to replace with an AKG or 7506.
**edit** IMHO of course
600smile.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #23 of 37
funny you say that... i just picked up a set of 7506s... i wanted to get the k240s but they were selling @ $130...

won't have a chance to test them out until later tonight but can't wait!

Aug 31, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #24 of 37
One out of lots that haven't cracked. If every one on the planet cracked but mine, then I doubt that Senn would still be selling them. The 280s sound like every other good monitor can out there. Just because you need more bass to make you think you are listening to a subwoofer laden teenager's car is not my problem. I'm offended by your personal attack.

What you should have said is that I'm the only guy around that is willing to put up with your abuse concerning this headphone.

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #25 of 37
From the tenor of some of these posts, you'd think these headphones killed someone's loved ones or something
rolleyes.gif

This is a rather silly argument, but I'm bored, so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renzo
So you're basically saying that "mine hasn't cracked therefore noone else's can crack either"...

No, I think he's saying that not EVERY SINGLE HD280 headband will absolutely, positively crack... which seems to be your contention.

Quote:

Every single person I know who has had HD280 has complained about the headband cracking (excluding you). Also the sound quality of HD280 is nowhere near great or even good but amping them can help a bit.

Well, you can add me to the list of people who HAVE NOT had a problem with the headband. Same with other people here that have not had the problem. Sure, it's not the most robust design, but despite your efforts to paint these as a piece of junk, the reality is not quite so bleak.

As far as sound quality, they're not great, but I wouldn't call them bad. Definitely not as good as some other less expensive cans, but they work fine for some people. I've been mainly using mine for watching movies late at night, with no complaints.

If you don't like them, simply state why and move on. There's no need to publicly attack someone who feels otherwise.

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #26 of 37
Err, Gremlin, I really don't think Kramer was attacking you. Read his post again. He is merely directing his opinion strongly at the headphone and not you.

EDIT: And let's face it, HD280s sound far too dry for many people to like them. I loved mine but I can also understand people abhoring them.

Aug 31, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
No, I think he's saying that not EVERY SINGLE HD280 headband will absolutely, positively crack... which seems to be your contention.

No. It is just highly probable that the headband will crack sooner or later.
Quote:

Well, you can add me to the list of people who HAVE NOT had a problem with the headband.

Sure, it's not the most robust design, but despite your efforts to paint these as a piece of junk, the reality is not quite so bleak.

As far as sound quality, they're not great, but I wouldn't call them bad.

Ok, you are number two then. And it's not the sound quality that makes them bad, it's the overal build/clamping force/earpads that make your ear sweaty and the cracking headband. Like I said above, driving 280s through an amp helps the sound a bit compared to unamped operation.

I had mine over a year, thought they were great until I got better phones (DT860) and later even better ones (DT880). Granted, they are not in the same league but it's hard not to compare them.

Aug 31, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #28 of 37
My brother has a pair of 280’s so I’ve been able to do lengthy comparisons with them. They are the most “dull” sounding headphone I’ve ever heard. You can get a Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 for less usually and IMO they sound much better.

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Renzo
So you're basically saying that "mine hasn't cracked therefore noone else's can crack either".

My head band hasn't cracked either
tongue.gif
. I can admit that the HD280 leaves much to be desired. But, heck you can get these for 40-80 bucks easy and guess what?, they can be EQ'd. I usually use them for recording. IMO they are decent reference phones and gaming phones (decent soundstage).

Damn you head-fi people!! Now you've gotten me curious about the K81DJ and the K240S!! Aaahhhh!!!! There's no escape.

Aug 31, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #30 of 37
They're quite good for gaming but aside from that... I still feel like taking a dump on them since I got my HD650...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back