HD280's on PCDP?? Will it Work???
Jun 6, 2004 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sponge B.O.B

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am looking at upgrading my stock earbuds that came with my Sony PCDP with some HD280's. How will these phones perform on a portable?
I also noticed the impedance is different from the portable use headphones 64ohms rather than 32ohms. What does this mean?
What other Sennheiser Headphones can you recommend?
I will be listening to electronic/dance music so i would like a good bass response.

cheers guys/girls.

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sponge B.O.B
Hi,
I am looking at upgrading my stock earbuds that came with my Sony PCDP with some HD280's. How will these phones perform on a portable?
I also noticed the impedance is different from the portable use headphones 64ohms rather than 32ohms. What does this mean?
What other Sennheiser Headphones can you recommend?
I will be listening to electronic/dance music so i would like a good bass response.

cheers guys/girls.

While the HD280 will work (that is, it will reach sufficient volume) from a portable, I don't think you'll like the bass. You can bring out the bass somewhat on a 280 by amping it, but the bass is still the 280s weak spot. Are you really limited to Sennheiser? I like the Sony V6 more than the 280, it has better bass, more neutral all-around than the 280. it's lighter, more comfortable and still efficient enough to run from a wimpy portable.

Jun 6, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 5
It needs a fair amount of power. The 15mw 'semi classic' discmen power it quite well and gives it quite a laid-back sound.

I would (like a broken record) suggest the HD25-1 (not the HD25-SP which I have listened to only briefly) for your requirements, but these phones are $160+... although I believe they're worth it. They're as sealed if not more than the HD280, are very lightweight (unlike the HD280) are visually unobtrusive (unlike the HD280) have plenty of bass (unlike the HD280) and are very clear. They're also much more efficient. I would suggest saving your pennies to get this if what you need are efficient, highly portable and very isolated phones.

Jul 4, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 5
I am using HD280 (64 ohm) with my SONY D-EJ2000 portable CD player. I put volume at 50% of max. and feel sound is loud enough for me.

The max output at its phone minijack is approx. 5 mW+5 mW at 16 ohm.

Jul 7, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 5
man i used 280s for ;ike 2 years on a pcdp. just use the eq. they get pretty loud. they have realy nice bass, you bloddy krouts ahahhaha
eek.gif
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
280smile.gif

just get etys you know you want em!!!
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back