HD280s and iRiver iHP-120
Sep 19, 2004 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gamefreak

New Head-Fier
Just ordered a pair of 280s off Amazon and was making sure that they can be powered by my precious iHP-120. I'd look it up but I really have no clue what I'm looking for as I'm pretty newbish when it comes to portable audio et al.

Much thanks!

Sep 19, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 12
Hehehe.

I've been lugging around my HD202's onto the bus in my bookbag. I figure that these will probably be the same size folded up and I don't have a huge cord that can get tangled (and of course they sound alot better).

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 12
GF,

I am not fond of the 280 sound on my Ipod. Very flat and volume needs to be cranked. The 280s sound better with an amp, but I think the 64 ohm impedance of the 280s is a detriment to good sound from DAPs w/o amps. The 202s were easier to drive with a portable DAP.

If you need a full sized set of closed phones that sound good with non-amped portable players, I think the DT231s sound better (and are lighter / less spaceman looking!)

280s are great phones, but just don't work overly well for your chosen application, IMO, unless you are planning to carry around an amp.

des

Sep 19, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 12
Hmmm. Well, I'm pretty much open to anything better than what I have now as long as Amazon has it (I have a gift card there I need to use). I also use phones alot with the computer (DVDs, music, games, voicechat) so I really don't know.

Sep 19, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 12
How far do you want to up your price range?
You already have 202s and although those are a little honky, they're pretty good as far as isolation and value goes, so I think price range will be an issue here.

Sep 19, 2004 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by delenda est Sony
GF,

I am not fond of the 280 sound on my Ipod. Very flat and volume needs to be cranked. The 280s sound better with an amp, but I think the 64 ohm impedance of the 280s is a detriment to good sound from DAPs w/o amps. The 202s were easier to drive with a portable DAP.

If you need a full sized set of closed phones that sound good with non-amped portable players, I think the DT231s sound better (and are lighter / less spaceman looking!)

280s are great phones, but just don't work overly well for your chosen application, IMO, unless you are planning to carry around an amp.

des

I agree too. My 280 did gain some soundstage/atmosphere with an amp and its made listening more relaxing. I couldn't tell the difference on some tracks though.

Sep 19, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea Bag
I agree too. My 280 did gain some soundstage/atmosphere with an amp and its made listening more relaxing. I couldn't tell the difference on some tracks though.

Without them were they (at least as) as good as a pair of 202's?

Sep 19, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefreak
Without them were they (at least as) as good as a pair of 202's?

I'm sorry. I wish I could answer you but I haven't heard the HD202. I'm just speaking purely from my experience of the HD280.

However, I'm beginning to think that the HD280 should never go unamped.
confused.gif

I'll have to wait until my HD600 comes before I can have a stronger opinion!
icon10.gif

Sep 19, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea Bag
I'm sorry. I wish I could answer you but I haven't heard the HD202. I'm just speaking purely from my experience of the HD280.

However, I'm beginning to think that the HD280 should never go unamped.
confused.gif

I'll have to wait until my HD600 comes before I can have a stronger opinion!
icon10.gif

Hehehe. Thanks anyways!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back