HD280pro, ATH-ES7 or Denon D1000?
Jan 3, 2008 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

natural_nut

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

I'm currently deciding between these three choices, as I can get any of these three more or less within the same price. Will be using it mainly at home, but since I'm sharing a room with my bro I guess it has to be closed. May also be using it as a portable. I currently have Denon AH-C700, which I love, but the problem is the hassle of getting to fit them in properly after each time I remove them. My main sources would be my Zen MicroPhoto, and my laptop via XMod out.

My musical tastes are varied, ranging from vocals to jazz to country to classic rock.

I have tried the ES7s, and the D1000, but I could not do an A/B comparison. I can't really try them again, and I haven't tried the HD280pros, and it doesn't seem like I can try them anywhere.

My main priority would be SQ and soundstaging.

Any other recommendations are welcome
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 15
I would get the Denons.
My HD280 are terrible -- no bass at all, and the rest of the SQ sucks too.
Other peeps seem to like them, but I sure don't.
If you lived nearby, I would glady GIVE them to you.

EDIT:
Maybe I just got a random *bad* pair of HD280? I don't remember my first pair of HD280 (died last year) sounding as bad, or I wouldn't have bought a replacement set.
Anway,
Soundwise, especially for the price -- the Sony V6 beat the HD280 in EVERY possible way -- SQ and comfort are way better.
The V6 is really a best-bang-for-the-buck can. I always have a pair around, for years now. On my second pair, after first pair died after many years.
And, judging from what others have posted, the D1000 might give them some competition, but they would have to be mighty good to beat hhe V6.

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

My HD280 are terrible -- no bass at all, and the rest of the SQ sucks too.

HD 280 could be the right choice: sound is pretty good for the price, I don't like them with classical music but they are ok with most other kinds of music, isolation is very, very good. The bad side is that they are not very confortable for prolongued listenings and clamping force is rather strong.

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 15
The Denons also get the most points for comfort. I would go with them as the senns get far too inconsistant feedback and the ES7 is not anything terribly special.

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bisco82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denons also get the most points for comfort. I would go with them as the senns get far too inconsistant feedback and the ES7 is not anything terribly special.

I see, thanks all. I do like the ES7 for the bling factor, though, although I understand that the mirror finish smudges easily.

BTW can the D1000 be recabled?

Jan 4, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 15
It always baffles me when people say the 280pros have no bass.
Look at my sig. With the exception of the Darths, the 280s have far, far more bass than anything else down there.
I mean farrrrrr more. The very bottom end is shocking almost.
Kick Drums in black metal are *brutal* with low end impact.

I can't help but wonder if the 'no bassers' don't have authentic Senns.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by natural_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see, thanks all. I do like the ES7 for the bling factor, though, although I understand that the mirror finish smudges easily.

BTW can the D1000 be recabled?

No, they cannot be re cabled.

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 15
NickZ, i've tried hard, but refused to understand what on the earth led you to assume that d1000 can't be recabled.

Every headphone that has a cable can be recabled.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 15
Maybe he means that they don't have a connector at the headphone end, like most senns do for example. So of course you can recable them, but you can't just buy a new cable and plug it in.

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 15
The D1000 is by far better than the ES7. That, however, doesn't mean that the ES7 are bad. I'd say they perform better than the D1000 unamped, but amped the D1000 takes that one easily.

Jan 7, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 15
What I meant was that they are not designed to be recabled.

Many Sennheisers for instance, are, as you probably know designed to be taken apart, as you can see here.

and like martook said, other headphones simply have a connector, to which you can connect any cable you want, like the equation rp-21.

The Denon D-1000 doesn't have any of this, that is what I meant to say before.
I'm sorry if I didn't elaborate enough before, but I was kinda in a hurry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back