HD280 vs SCL3 for a drummer
Mar 27, 2009 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PaulF

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I am taking a flight to New Jersey in a few weeks, and it is the perfect reason to upgrade on headphones.
I have 2 pairs of Vic Firth drumming headphones, which have bad audio quality, but really really good sound isolation, and also have some Sony MDR-NX3 in ears that my dad bought me when he was in japan. These Sony's seem to have good sound quality (maybe too much bass though), but they do very little for isolating sounds.

I sadly have never tried Shure in ears, or any type of in ear except for $50 Sony in ears, and the sonys I have now, but I'm pretty sure I could get used to shoving something in my ears kind of deep.
I would buy the HD 280s right away, but I have heard that they are clamp on tighly (hopefully not as tight as Vic Firths, although I can live with the tightness, it hurts after extended periods).

I have narrowed it down to these two, because they are roughly the same price (for the hd 280s for i think around $70 shipped from a website, and musiciansfriend has the SCL3s in white at $70).

Thank you,
Paul Fehr

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 7
I would guess that HD280 don't have enough isolation either.
I used Shure E2Cs for drumming and they were OK (mediocre sound but good isolation). I would pick SCL3.

Regards,
Jonas

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 7
IEM for isolation.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 7
My two cents!!!

It's a tough call as I really like the lightness of the SCL3's; however, I always have a tough time of getting them to sit in my ears comfortably (sorry for the bluntness of this) because of sweat in my ears and then they tend to slip outwards, which can be annoying. Foam tips may help; however, I also have problems with their fit and trying to insert them comfortably.

The noise cancelling qualities appear to be the same; however, I feel that my problem lies in trying to keep the SCL3's in my ears which then makes me prefer the HD280's.

On the HD280's there is also just one cord to deal with only coming off the left ear pad versus the two on the SCL3's; therefore, maybe having one less cord to get in the way or be pulled on is of importance.

For comfort the HD280's have an adjustable and swiveling thick cushioned ear pads and headband, which are definitely adequate. They feel very secure and don't clamp down to tight to become annoying or uncomfortable.

I guess in the end I would take the HD280's as I like my ears being totally closed in with these and then I don't worry as much from them falling out and off like SCL3's.

BTW even though you can use cord adapters on the SCL3's for 1/8" to 1/4", the HD280's plug is also the adapter as it is 1/4" then it screws off to become an 1/8" mini. I really like this feature for plugging in with out having to carry a cord adapter.

One more thing and if you decide to go with the Shure's, I would spend the extra money and get the SCL4's (in white) as I see them on Ebay for around $110 including shipping. I really think these are head and shoulders above the SCL3's.

Even though it's not in my signature, I do have the HD280's and I'll edit it as such.

Take care.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 7
if using for on stage monitoring, I'd agree w/ the others that the Shure's would be your best bet. The isolation's better & you'd be safer in terms of durability.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Well, realistically the Shure's are the most practical as I use my Senns for the Studio.

If you can afford it go for the SCL4's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back