HD280 vs MS1s..HELP PLEASE!!
Jun 11, 2005 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

la_marquise

100+ Head-Fier
HELP PLEASE!

I am trying to decide between the Senn HD280 and the Alessandro MS1 (i already have a pair of Ety ER6is that I love for the "in my head" effect...great for going to a driving range with btw...
280smile.gif
)

They will be used at home/office with my ipod or my pc...it doesn't really matter whether they are closed or not...

I generally listen to alot of DJ Krush, acid-jazz, jazz, classical, and bossa...as well as rock (linkin park, ozzy, eagles, leonard cohen!)

I like tight clear defined bass, and detailed sound. Being a pianist and oboe player, I get a kick out of being able to hear dampers and figure out how the fingers were working and the breath phrasing on instruments..

Also do I need an amp to drive either of these?!

THANKS!!

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 21
I don't think you need an amp for the Alessandros because they are low impedance headphones. They sound quite nice to me unamped.

Jun 11, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
I don't think you need an amp for the Alessandros because they are low impedance headphones. They sound quite nice to me unamped.

Hmmm...I have heard that the only Alessandros/Grado line that doesn't need amping is the SR60. SR80 and above and all of Alessandro lines sounds much better ampped. However, I DON'T know this first hand as I only have heard MS1 and SR60 unampped.

This seems to be the concensus in this forum though...

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 21
Hi

I haven't heard the Alessandros so can't comment or compare, but I have the HD-280 pros. I think they're great cans, especially for the price.

They're good for all the kinds of music you describe. The bass is certainly tight - deep but not boomy. It's just there when you want it to be. I find them pretty satisfying for rock, and detailed enough to handle even classical music fairly well.

They don't need to be amped. I've used them straight out of my iPod. It drives them well and they sound great, but I find I need to turn the volume up quite far when I'm rocking out (fine once I'd disabled the volume limiter that European iPods have). They go plenty loud enough for me without an amp though.

They give a reasonable degree of isolation too (though not nearly as much as Sennheiser claims). Still, it's plenty for most purposes - no problem to listen to music while my wife's watching the TV.

Hope that helps,

//Pablor
280smile.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 21
I own Alessandro MS-1s myself, and a good friend uses several HD 280 Pros in his studio, since they're comfy and have a great seal for tracking.

Having compared both his 280s and my MS-1s, I would say they both have good bass, with impact, but they're not boomy. I really like the midrange on the Alessandros. What surprised me was that Grados have a reputation as being really bright, and maybe even shrill on the high end, yet my MS-1s had a smoother, more easygoing high end than the 280s. Alessandro cans are supposed to be mellower on the high end compared to Grados, but I was still surprised that the 280s sounded much harsher. The Sennheisers weren't fresh out of the box either. They're well used cans that had seen their time in the studio.

I'm not trying to dog the Sennheisers, as they do sound really nice, and are a good deal for the price. They sound fine unamped too. The popular belief seems to be that they may be better all-around cans compared to the Alessandros. You have eclectic tastes, so they may be a better fit for you. Now I have eclectic tastes too, and the MS-1s sound great with everything I throw at them, and brilliant with rock and intimate jazz. My portable amp for my MS-1s haven't arrived yet. They also work just great without an amp.

Overall, I really like the Alessandro MS-1s better. The midrange really is sweet, and the highs were more pleasing to me. The sound is also really detailed and in your face. If you like picking out details, you could fall in love with these. The only thing is, if you want a spacious soundstage for certain classical pieces, you want find that here. The Sennheisers are better for that.

Based on what you've said, I can see you liking either set of headphones. My gut tells me you may appreciate the character of the MS-1s more. They'll shine on jazz, acid jazz, and rock, and still hold up on other material. But I think you really should give both cans a listen, maybe at a meet. Then again they're only $100! Just get both! Then you can sell the ones you don't like for maybe a $5-$10 loss right here on these boards. Even at $110 total cost, either pair of headphones would still represent a solid value.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by la_marquise
HELP PLEASE!

I am trying to decide between the Senn HD280 and the Alessandro MS1 (i already have a pair of Ety ER6is that I love for the "in my head" effect...great for going to a driving range with btw...
280smile.gif
)

They will be used at home/office with my ipod or my pc...it doesn't really matter whether they are closed or not...

I generally listen to alot of DJ Krush, acid-jazz, jazz, classical, and bossa...as well as rock (linkin park, ozzy, eagles, leonard cohen!)

I like tight clear defined bass, and detailed sound. Being a pianist and oboe player, I get a kick out of being able to hear dampers and figure out how the fingers were working and the breath phrasing on instruments..

Also do I need an amp to drive either of these?!

THANKS!!

I'm not quite qualified to give me recommendations as I have only heard MS1s and SR60s unampped. However, just a thought, what about considering a pair SR60s? If you like details and a sweet midrange, they are it. Personally, I am finding my MS1s to be a tad too mellow compared to the SR60, however, my MS1s are still in the burning in stage.

For now, I personally don't find TOO much of a difference between SR60s and MS1s unampped besides MS1s being every so slightly more mellow.

Also, SR60s are a really great deal at US$69... Great way to test if you like the Grado sound or not.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Jun 12, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
Also, SR60s are a really great deal at US$69... Great way to test if you like the Grado sound or not...

Where did you get them at 69 usd? I stopped by a shop in Ottawa and they wanted 129 CAD+ tax....! I figured at that price I might as well "upgrade"!

Jun 12, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 21
Oh dear...just came across that almost year-long thread by Azure on hd280 vs sony vs audio-technica a500....

now i am starting to think i should consider the a500s too........(although it WON"T take me a year to decide...i swear....)

all three are reasonably priced, i'll probably get 2 of the 3 in addition to my ety er-6is...(now that I FOUND them...having thought that little bro had LOST them couple days ago, so my replacement fund for them freed up..)

unless i should just pool the money for the 2 sets (ms1, hd280, a500) into one good set?

i live in toronto, so yes i have to pay 15% to the taxman...and exorbitant shipping.. (except for the ms1's...free shipping!)

enough rambling! MUST BUY NEW CANS.... i am leaning towards the ms1 (sorry sionghchan...i tested my friend's sr80s, unamped and was rather disappointed... but the sr60s are sweet. but like i said, at that price CAD, i think i could do better?) and hd280 or the a500s for closed....

Jun 12, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Where did you get them at 69 usd? I stopped by a shop in Ottawa and they wanted 129 CAD+ tax....! I figured at that price I might as well "upgrade"!

Oh..sorry...I thought you were located in US instead of Canada. Now, if you are in Canada, as like me, and would like a pair of Grados, check out http://www.a4audio.com

I haven't bought from them before but they seem to be a Canadian store in Richmond Hill, ON, and for some reason, they charge USD in their website. Unfortunately, I don't see that they carry the SR60. You can try calling them. However, I see that they carry SR80 for USD$99 and they are having a sale on the SR125 for USD$141.00 (that is cheaper than US prices).

Now, if you decide to get from them, do post your buying experience. I'm sure there are lots of Canadian, including yours truly here, who might be interested in getting some higher version of Grados from them if they REALLY do charge US prices for Grados in Canada for Canadians.

Let me know..

Jun 12, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 21
This thread has gone on far too long without a definitive answer.

In terms of sound quality, the MS-1's destroy the HD-280's, even if both are unamped.

If you need isolation, portability, or if you’ll be listening in a noisy environment, the HD280’s are a good choice.

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
Oh..sorry...I thought you were located in US instead of Canada. Now, if you are in Canada, as like me, and would like a pair of Grados, check out http://www.a4audio.com

I haven't bought from them before but they seem to be a Canadian store in Richmond Hill, ON, and for some reason, they charge USD in their website. Unfortunately, I don't see that they carry the SR60. You can try calling them. However, I see that they carry SR80 for USD$99 and they are having a sale on the SR125 for USD$141.00 (that is cheaper than US prices).

Now, if you decide to get from them, do post your buying experience. I'm sure there are lots of Canadian, including yours truly here, who might be interested in getting some higher version of Grados from them if they REALLY do charge US prices for Grados in Canada for Canadians.

Let me know..

Well, I emailed them...couldn't find the number, but looking at their CD selection, they look like a HK emigrant audiophile shop...

They do not carry the SR-60, and nor do they seem to be an "official" dealer if you will. But good news, they do sell to Canadians at those prices, plus applicable taxes and shipping of course. They DO NOT allow pick up (I tried, seeing I live very close to their listed address)

But as I am picking up a pair of MS-1s (i've got a bet on with a friend to prove that these are a better value than his sr-80s and that there is much to like about grado) from a fellow Head-fi'er, so I will probably try them out for CDs, then a pair of SR-225s...hehe

Now, back to pondering...hd 280s or the audio-technica a500

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 21
How much bigger are the 280s compared to the A500s? Because from the pics I saw of the A500, them be HUGE.

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
This thread has gone on far too long without a definitive answer.

In terms of sound quality, the MS-1's destroy the HD-280's, even if both are unamped.

If you need isolation, portability, or if you’ll be listening in a noisy environment, the HD280’s are a good choice.

agree 100% on those comments (though im basing this on my sr60 instead of ms1). a500 is definitely an alternative, you'll get a bit more detail, perhaps a bit more boom-bass, but a little "scooped out" midrange. (im basing this on my a700) you'll also get a set of headphones that no normal human would be caught dead in public with (huge).

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Another Ottawa head-fi member...welcome aboard. I live around Gloucester, and couldn't really find any good headphone stores so I ordered the MS-1s directly from their site -- got it in 5 days. It really is quite difficult to get a good price on Grados in Canada, so it might be just a good idea to order them online or get the MS-1 (although be prepared to get hit with 15% taxes and customs handling if you do).

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #15 of 21
Gloucester eh? Audioshop is on Glebe/Bank in Ottawa, so that's relatively close to you!

I was driving by Ottawa on my way home from golfing
280smile.gif

I've decided to get the MS1s from a fellow head-fi'er...

Now I am thinking a pair of closed cans..., so that I will have a decent selection of headphones...

IEM: ER6i
Open-air: MS1 (soon!!!)
Closed: HD280 or A500....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back