HD280 vs 555 vs sr60 vs sr80...
Dec 4, 2004 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dshook

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I'm just getting into this headphone thing, and I got a set of er6is for my portable and was really impressed with how much better everything can sound. Now I am on the lookout for something to listen to at home, as my stereo speakers just arent cuttin it anymore.

I'm getting a Porta Corda II with this whoe group buy thing so I'd be using that with whatever phones I'd be getting.

I listen mostly to jazz and folk, with some jazzy hip hop. I like my bass powerful but balanced, nothing overpowering. I like the clarity of the er6is, but find myself eqing up the treble a bit to give everything a bit more bite.

What would you recommend.... The senns have the isolation going for them, in case I ever needed, but I like what I'm hearing about the exciting sound of the Grado stuff....$150US or so is my budget..

Dec 4, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 5
I would run with the SR80's if confort is not an issue. If confort is an issue check out the 555's.

Dec 4, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 5
of the cans you listed the only ones i havnt listen to is the 555, of the others including the 6i i would get the SR60, the HD280s sound similar to the 6i, thin and boring no balls behind em. The SR80 are better but the 60s have a warmer thicker sound.

Dec 5, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 5
For that price you could get an Alessandro MS-1 ($100 US shipped) Or a Grado SR-225 used, there's one in the for sale forum right now. Mind you, I haven't heard either of them, but do a search and you should be able to find plenty of info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back