HD280 to D2000 upgrade?
Mar 11, 2009 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

existart1984

New Head-Fier
First off, hello everyone!

I just recently ordered a pair of Denon AHD-2000's online, and am anxiously waiting for them to arrive (supposed to be here by Thursday, if all goes well). I did my research and think that I've found a good set of closed cans that will be a nice upgrade to my 2+ year old HD280 Pro's, but I'm still curious!

I'm still rather new to headphones, the 280's being my first real venture into the black hole that is headphone obsession (not including a few pairs of really, really cheap earhuggers that I went through forever ago). What I'd love to know is: What do you think, good choice? Also, if anyone has listened to both, what would you say are the main differences between them and/or what should I expect?

Right now, I'm running my iPod and laptop through a Total Bithead amp, which has worked quite well! Music wise, I listen to lots of electronica, and dabble in rock, indie, and folk(Last.fm Profile, more specific list of artists). Do you think the new ones will be well suited for most of what I listen to, or will I be switching between cans for different types?

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 8
You'll never listen to the HD280s again. They will sound flat and lifeless in comparison. A good bassy, closed headphone like the D2000 is an excellent choice for electronica.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll never listen to the HD280s again. They will sound flat and lifeless in comparison. A good bassy, closed headphone like the D2000 is an excellent choice for electronica.

X2. The HD280 = garbage, just like the Sony V6 and A700.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 8
I haven't heard the D2000, but generally speaking I consider the stomach flu better than the HD280 so I'm sure the D2000 is good in comparison.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 8
I just ordered the D2000s, they should be here tomorrow I'll post some impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by existart1984 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, hello everyone!

Right now, I'm running my iPod and laptop through a Total Bithead amp, which has worked quite well! Music wise, I listen to lots of electronica, and dabble in rock, indie, and folk(Last.fm Profile, more specific list of artists). Do you think the new ones will be well suited for most of what I listen to, or will I be switching between cans for different types?

I use my AH-D2000s mainly for rock, hip hop and indie, and they handle those genres really well. I just picked up a pair of HD280s too though, and I'm really liking them, so maybe I'm not the person to ask.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 8
I just got them!
dt880smile.png

Listening right now, and switching between the two, it seems like you guys were spot on. I'll continue to listen to more of course and update, but withing 20 min of listening they're already making the 280's sound muddy. There's a separation and clarity to each sound that Senn's just can't compare with! AHHH! The background is black between the notes too (which is completely new to me...
eek.gif
), and I definitely get a feel for things being closer or further away. The only disadvantage so far is that I feel like I could get a bit of a bass headache after a while, but from what I've read it should mellow out a bit once they're burned in.

Excuse the noob review, I am very pleased though so far! I'll update again once I get a few hours of good listening in.

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by existart1984 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got them!
dt880smile.png

Listening right now, and switching between the two, it seems like you guys were spot on. I'll continue to listen to more of course and update, but withing 20 min of listening they're already making the 280's sound muddy. There's a separation and clarity to each sound that Senn's just can't compare with! AHHH! The background is black between the notes too (which is completely new to me...
eek.gif
), and I definitely get a feel for things being closer or further away. The only disadvantage so far is that I feel like I could get a bit of a bass headache after a while, but from what I've read it should mellow out a bit once they're burned in.

Excuse the noob review, I am very pleased though so far! I'll update again once I get a few hours of good listening in.

drop kick the 280's now. (crap for music!)
enjoy
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back