hd280 RETURNED!
Apr 9, 2004 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

mchurgin

100+ Head-Fier
Well, after a week I took advantage of the local Guitar Center letting me return the 280's and I replaced them with the Sony 7056 (V6).

I am much happier with the 7506. I think the sound signature is more musical, kinda similar to other phones I like: Ksc35 and Sr60.

They do not isolate as well as the 280's but are much more comfortable to wear. I also do not find they have the screaching highs as the 280's did. They are easier to drive from the iPod.
The bass, although a little heavy is at least there. It was way too lite on the 280's. Worst case you can eq the bass down a little which is much esasier thwn trying to bring it up, in my opinion.

Also the Sony's do not have the death vise grip on your head. I think the 280's are more suited for actual monitoring of recordings where the 7506 (v6) seem more laid back ( colored) to be fun to listen to the music rather than worry about what your hearing it with.

I think I will be very happy with these for the times I bought the 280's. I checked for sound leakage and it does not seem to be a prblem, so I think listening in bed and on airplanes will be good.
Like I said the only negative difference immediately is the little bit of less isolation which will only affect me on the plane.

Apr 9, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by mchurgin
I also do not find they have the screaching highs as the 280's did. They are easier to drive from the iPod also.

Precisely
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats on your purchase.. and it won't be soon before you're left wanting more..
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 91
Heh -- I followed exactly the same path: Bought HD280 from Guitar Center, wasn't wild about them, bought the 7506, liked them much better, returned the HD280.

However ... I decided I wasn't happy with the over-powered highs on the 7506. I've started down the long slippery slope, because I ordered the Audio-Technica A900 from Audiocubes last week and just got the email today that it's on the way. The 7506's are going back, but I'm hanging onto them as long as I can in hopes of comparing them with the A900 when it gets here.

Now, here's the key to avoiding following me down that path: pay no attention to lindrone, for he will lead you into bankruptcy. He's an evil, evil man who's far too knowledgeable and helpful to be allowed out in public. If you're not careful, you'll find yourself reading one of his detailed and thoughtful reviews, and next thing you know, you've taken out a mortgage on the family pet to buy something you didn't even know you needed an hour ago.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

(Seriously, congratulations on finding the 7506's -- I like the construction, isolation, and comfort of the HD280's better, but there's no contest in the sound.)

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 91
As one of the Few and Proud members of Team HD280, I feel compelled to post here...

280s DO NOT have screeching highs, nor do they have anemic bass. They have perfectly balanced sound once properly burned in. The mid-bass, perhaps, is a tad anemic, but sticky tack on the interior fixes that nicely. 280s are much clearer lower down (20-50Hz) than many phones out there. Period.

Fanboy out
biggrin.gif

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 91
Um, a few THOUSAND hours? I'd say after 50 it's useable, and 200 is sufficient for most people. I've got around 700 on mine, and since I can't really remember what they sounded like at 200, I can't comment if it's improved or not. One fellow here (can't remember his name; he had a thread on 'Reflections on HD 280s', or something to that effect) claims after 1000 hours they improve a ton. YMMV.

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
Um, a few THOUSAND hours? I'd say after 50 it's useable, and 200 is sufficient for most people. I've got around 700 on mine, and since I can't really remember what they sounded like at 200, I can't comment if it's improved or not. One fellow here (can't remember his name; he had a thread on 'Reflections on HD 280s', or something to that effect) claims after 1000 hours they improve a ton. YMMV.

I've got to say, I had mine up to at least 400-450 hours of burn-in when I returned them, and I still found the highs quite harsh and grainy, and the whole sound seemed remote and lifeless to me.

The thread you're thinking of is Tyson's "Re-Appraisal of Senn HD-280's", which is part of what convinced me to buy them in the first place. Ironically, if you go back and look at it now, he wound up selling his second pair of 280's as well, because he still wasn't happy with the sound.

Anyway, I have to agree with you that the bass does go very low and very precise, but the overall sound of them just didn't do it for me. I definitely wouldn't have them as my only pair of full-size phones, but it might be interesting to go back someday and pick up a pair to try burning them in for a ridiculously long time (like three months), just to see what happens.

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 91
The most effective way to burn the hd280 is by starting a camp fire and throwing the 280 suckers in it. Burn burn burn, I say burn!
redface.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #12 of 91
Perhaps this is also due to the fact that these are my only good cans currently
biggrin.gif

Still, I love 'em. They sound decent even unamped, and if you add an amp, they sound even better. Also, I watch movies late at night/early in the morning (whatever you'd call 2AM), and they really sound great: DVD --> CMoy --> HD 280. The coiled cord helps for that, too.

DJGeorgeT... DIE, DIE, DIE. BURN IN HELL
very_evil_smiley.gif

[size=xx-small]J\K, George. Well, no. But yes. Argh...[/size]

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #14 of 91
This, coming from a Team Duh-M-Bass who enjoys the subtle farts of the Sony V6...
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #15 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
This, coming from a Team Duh-M-Bass who enjoys the subtle farts of the Sony V6...
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back