HD280 Pro... what next? (Grados, amp)?
Nov 6, 2009 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Guitarded88

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fiers!

I'm pretty new here (somehow I had an account already created but don't remember doing so... hmm)

Anyways, I got my first pair of real headphones (read: non-ipod), last christmas in the form of the HD280s. I digged the sound isolation, as I do recordings with em and have a finnicky girlfriend. As far as i knew the sound was great, better than anything I had tried in the past. And despite what other people say have never felt my head being clamped.

However I'm looking for the next step. I do my primary listening through an ipod. At home I have a Yamaha receiver, which plays CDs and mp3s (from xbox), and an Audio Technica turntable. I usually use my home theater to listen to music at home, but sometimes plug in the headphones if it's late.

I also have a presonus FP10 which I plug into when I'm at my PC.

I'm wondering what would be a good next logical step? Maybe a portable amp for my ipod? A new set of cans (I have my eye on some Grado's... possibly the SR 225 or 325... RS1 is probably outta the question, but hell im open to all suggestions!). Do i need a better CD player or amp for my home theater system?

BTW I listen to mostly metal (Iron Maiden, Mastodon, Children of Bodom), but also listen to a lot of classic rock (Brian Wilson, The Who, Zeppelin, Early Genesis, King Crimson).

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 6
Yeah, given your tastes some Grados would be nice. SR 225 is at a good price level (check the marketplace here). But also check the marketplace for RS-1's.

- Ed

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 6
If you don't know, the Grado's are open phones, so some sound leaks out and outside noise leaks in. You mentioned your girlfriend being picky -- did you mean that she doesn't want to hear what you are listening to??

The Grado's will seem much more active than the Senn headphones, which tend to be a bit more laid back -- most metal and rock sound really great on Grado's -- they make gritty guitars sound so .... gritty!
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 6
I agree that a pair of Grados is the way to go. Mastodon sounds great, and so does equally awesome Georgian band Baroness on a pair of MS-1's, or anything further up the line.

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks a lot for your responses! Yeah I love Baroness, really digging Blue Record so far.

Grado seemed the way to go. Yea my girlfriend doesn't like to hear it but that's what I have my HD280s for... I plan on keeping em. I just wasn't sure if I would notice a huge difference between the 225s and hd280s, or if I needed a better source or amp to actually hear the difference.

So SR 225 would suit my needs? I would love to get an RS1 but I haven't seen them go for less than $450 used... I've seen the 225s go for just over $100.

I was going to grab a PA2V2 to use with my ipod... is it necessary with the Grados?

Seems like a good thing to have for ~$50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back