HD280 Pro v. MDR-7506 re: longterm comfort and earpad heat
Nov 20, 2011 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Meyvn

Headphoneus Supremus
I know most of us even here aren't the types to regularly wear gigantic circumaural 'phones outside for long stretches, I thought this would probably be the best place to ask.  

After a long time doing video editing as an amateur and budding professional, I've decided to branch out into videography.  Unfortunately as yet I'm a one-man business, so I don't have the great fortune of knowing a good sound guy to work with, nor do I yet have the resources to hire one.  Small jobs, low pay, simple rigs.  So the task of handing audio, as yet, is left to me.  This means I'll be doing both the recording and the monitoring myself.  As many cans as I own and have owned over the years, though, I've never personally owned a good set of closed circumaurals.  I've heard dozens, certainly, but only in relatively short (30 minutes or less) auditions.  And as much as I'd like to be cheap and lazy and toss on my PortaPros, I'm sure the minute I do I'm going to be stuck in a situation with excessive wind or other background noise.

So here I am, trying to decide between the HD280 Pro, and the MDR-7506.  I know how they both sound, and I think I'd prefer the neutrality of Sennheisers, but what I'm really concerned with is how they're going to feel, heat-wise and comfort-wise on long shoots, potentially outdoors in hot, humid climate.  Obviously, as closed headphones neither is going to be ideal in this regard, but if one has the edge over the other, I'd really like to know it.  I'm especially concerned with the heat, since I can deal with some level of discomfort for long periods; after all, I have worn the K1000s for rather long stretches of time for a number of years.  It would also be extraordinarily helpful if you guys know of velour pads that will fit either of these well; that might make all the difference in my situation.

If you guys have other recommendations specifically for this application, (field monitoring) and budget (~$100, I'm already very sorry about my wallet with other equipment at this point), and you think I'm overlooking another great option, I'm all ears, no pun intended.  If that's the case, I'd highly prefer a set that has a native 1/8" jack and requires an adapter for 1/4" rather than the other way around.  Going up to 1/4" is much less painful than going down to 1/8", and if things go my way, I suspect I'll be using these 'phones with a number of different rigs over the years.  

Thanks guys.  

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 5
Excellent choices for the field ~ sadly there are not too many others in that price range that would
qualify as actual working headphones for people in the trade.

Two making ground now, one quite established would be the Sennheiser HD25 II and a recent
new comer the Beyerdynamic DT1350.

At a guess, I'd say the Sony may be the least sweaty of the two for slogging it out under the
sun but it's really just down to subjective preference and splitting hairs.

You could also use an Audio Technica M50 since they're a decent monitoring headphone
and see plenty of studio work, easily powered from a Sony PCM-D50 or similar, all of
them will actually.

All of these are 1/8 standard.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks Gwarmi.  I've heard nothing but good things about the ATH-M50, but haven't heard a pair myself.  Might see if I can find a way to have an audition locally soon.  

I seriously considered the HD25; as it happens, I own a set of velour pads for it that I bought for the K81DJ awhile back (hated them on it, but haven't heard them on an actual HD25).  I love the sound, and especially prefer it for listening to music on my own than I like either the HD280 Pro or the MDR-7506, but I have a terrible feeling the on-ear would really start to hurt over time; as stated I own the AKG K81DJ, and while, yes, it is a tighter-fitting set, even with some adjustments in that department I started to get weary of the supra-aural pads after much more than a short bus commute.  

I'm beginning to consider just flipping a coin on the full-sized set and tossing my Klipsch S4 in the gear bag just in case the heat gets unbearable; I can probably live with a bit of bass-heaviness in exchange for living to see the next day of shooting.

P.S., 1500 posts since July of this year?  You are a maniac.  Definitely sorry about your wallet.

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 5
having owned both of these concurrently, the hd280 would be my pick. the clamping force of the v6s made listening uncomfortable for more than 30 minutes for me. As for sound I also preferred the 280's neutrality. The v6s were trebly in comparison as I recall. These days I'm using a700s but I can understand how you might want more isolation, and they're even geekier looking to wear around.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 5
Guttorm, what about the heat, specifically, over a long wearing session?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back