HD280 pro problems
Feb 19, 2005 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

thrive

Head-Fier
I just got my HD280 pros in the mail. I've noticed while using them i get a bit of resonance or a buzzing vibration in the right ear cup.I only hear the buzzing when the sound is loud or somewhat loud and also when there is a lot of bass or treble. Is this just bc i need to burn them in or are the drivers blown?
confused.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 34
It's probably not something burn-in can fix. It's probably something stuck on the driver or bad driver/connector. I would check for a hair or something that might be vibrating just in case. Also check your source/amp.

If you just gotten it from the mail order, check if you can send it back.

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrive
how much should i turn up the bass and lower the treble bc i heard its good to do that with these cans.

Better with flat setting. Btw I suggest to send them back for exchange since they're brand new, you shouldn't live with that problems. It may be easy to fix or could be a QC problems.

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 34
If you're early in the burn-in process it may actually be normal. Here's a thread from 2002 when I first got mine. I noted a similar buzzing at around the 20 hour mark. It worked itself out and sounded fine after some more time. How much burn-in have they had so far?

Feb 21, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #12 of 34
I'm having a similar problem with my hd280s...I think. But mine is that it's distorting the bass (yes only when using EQ that ups it up)...I know what you're thinking; my hand is heavy on that EQ & that it's distorting @ the source/amp (aka before it reaches the headphones). But I've tried some other headphones (px200) and the bass sounds fine. (As a side note, the px200s win in terms of midbass....otherwise the hd280s win in every aspect...I guess except size).

I really don't know how much burn-in they've had, mainly cause I only use them on mondays & wednesdays for the commute to & from school (about 25 minutes each), and then sometimes I'll have them on before I go to sleep for like 20 minutes. So not a lot. I hope it's burn-in but I bought these headphones to listen to...not to have them sit playing music for no-one to hear. I bought them about 2 weeks ago. I'm one of those people who just can't wait to open a package when it comes from fedex/ups so sitting around waiting for some headphones to burn-in isn't acceptible (I need my music NOW!...lol)

Also the isolation isn't as good as I hoped it would be. When I'm on the train, with EQ on flat, I hear absolutely NO bass. I mean, it's terrible. That's part of the low midbass response & isolation that I hoped would be there but isn't. That's why I have to use that EQ to give it a boost around 100hz & around 50hz. But since I also have to turn the volume up cause it's not loud enough, that's when the distortion problem comes in.

So far I'm not happy with these headphones...based on the intent I wanted to use them for (good isolation for the train commute so that I don't hvae to turn the volume all the way up). HOWEVER, using them when laying down @ night, they sound WONDERFUL!

So is your buzzing problem really a "buzz" or is it distortion? Like is the bass still being produced, but a buzzing sound accompanies it? Mine is distortion as far as I can tell.

Feb 21, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #13 of 34
Mine had the same problem in the left ear. After 50 hours or so of burn-in it disappeared.

You really don't want to even listen to these headphones until they have at least 150 hours of burn-in anyway. 250+ is best.

Feb 21, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
You really don't want to even listen to these headphones until they have at least 150 hours of burn-in anyway. 250+ is best.

Why don't they just come pre-burnt in??? Would solve a lotta problems. HOw would you even decide you liked them if you were doing a test-listen at a store??? 150 hours is crazy. 250 is crazier! more than 10 days of straight music playing??? But I guess you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back