HD280 or K240S with Porta Corda Mk II?
Apr 28, 2005 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a Porta Corda and was wondering which one of these would match up better with it-- the Senn HD280 or the K240S. I can get either one of them for $70 (or both for $140) new... at that price I might just get both, but I wanted to see if anyone has any firsthand experience with either of these cans and the Porta Corda Mk II.

I'm leaning towards the HD280, mainly because of the isolation & durability, plus I think the high end and midrange (and that low low bass) would match well with the PC. I've owned both of these cans before, but never while I had the Porta Corda, hence this post.

any advice?

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 13
Shoot Lini a PM. I think he uses the porta corda with the k240s and likes it.

Apr 28, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm not going to lie to you... I can't tell much difference with my HD280s running from my iPod and running from iPod > PocketDock > Mint Vibe. Maybe an impedence changing cable (er4p -> s) might help, but that's purely speculation.

Apr 28, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 46and2
I'm not going to lie to you... I can't tell much difference with my HD280s running from my iPod and running from iPod > PocketDock > Mint Vibe. Maybe an impedence changing cable (er4p -> s) might help, but that's purely speculation.

Well, the Porta Corda tends to packa nice wallop-- on every other headphone I've tried (7506's, DT770-80, KSC-75's, MX400's) I've noticed a definite improvement in clarity and a lessening of the harshness of any given pair of headphones versus how they sound unamped (the 7506 was a great example-- they sounded much less harsh/bright through the Porta Corda). So I was assuming that the HD280's would be similar when amped.

Apr 28, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 13
I was actually quite dissappointed when I bought my amp... not in the amp, but in the results with the cans. This led me to a USB DAC which I noticed no further improvement from...

Have you heard the HD280s? I only ask because I feel the consensus of the board (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that the HD280s don't get too much better amped.

I am interested in hearing your opinion if you do travel that road... However, in good conscience, I felt I needed to share my experiences.

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 13
First of all, I'm not sure who told you that the 280s were durable. I had a pair for a while (before I had an amp, had been here, etc). The headband on these basically falls apart after a few months of usage, and while they LOOK durable, the way they feel is a different story. It feels like you're holding a lot of plastic.

Now, my roomate also bought a pair of these after I did, and hers are still kicking nicely (though her headband has also fallen apart). I tried them on my new amp out of curiosity, and it really doesn't help them noticably. This may be because my ears aren't well trained enough yet, but I really don't think they need an amp.

Apr 29, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 13
I really want to clear this up if i can, so tell me if im wrong. But isnt the headband issue completely cosmetic? I've never seen someone say "my headband has cracked and now i have to tape them together" its always that the person is annoyed that it is cracking (which is very annoying, but different than durable). Other than the headband issue i cant see how anybody could reasonably say these cans arent durable. Yes, you do feel like your holding a big peice of plastic. A huge, thick, structually sound, peice of plastic.

Apr 29, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
I really want to clear this up if i can, so tell me if im wrong. But isnt the headband issue completely cosmetic? I've never seen someone say "my headband has cracked and now i have to tape them together" its always that the person is annoyed that it is cracking (which is very annoying, but different than durable). Other than the headband issue i cant see how anybody could reasonably say these cans arent durable. Yes, you do feel like your holding a big peice of plastic. A huge, thick, structually sound, peice of plastic.

yeah, what he said.

Apr 29, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
Shoot Lini a PM. I think he uses the porta corda with the k240s and likes it.

Yes, I do. I've never heard the HD 280, however - so I can't offer any comparative info on that...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 30, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 46and2
I'm not going to lie to you... I can't tell much difference with my HD280s running from my iPod and running from iPod > PocketDock > Mint Vibe.

I tried the HD280 with the PCII the other day out of Karma line out. The bass impressed me so I switched it over to the headphone out on the karma to see if it might just be the unfamiliar music. From the PCII it seemed to have a little stronger and tighter low end punch, but the difference was pretty subtle and could possibly be a result of the line out as much as the amping. It's driven quite adequately by my 5mw Sony MD. So if you have an amp and a 280 it's probably worth using the two together, but the results are nothing extraordinary.

One strange thing though; the HD280 I tried in a store (exact same model, 64ohm HD280 Pro) did seem to benefit slightly from amping (with Vibe, not PC) in a general sort way, but its overall SQ was significantly worse than the one I later ordered, which does not benefit as much. I've discussed this apparent variation with others and it seems these kinds of differences between them might not be so uncommon. Don't think that helps you any, just pointing out that your mileage really may vary with this phone.

Despite the lower impedance, the K240 benefits a lot more from an amp; it's bass tightens up substantially. Also, it's the better can overall, if you don't need isolation. But don't I recall you briefly owning the 240S before and not liking it?

Apr 30, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 13
I ended up getting the HD280's since I would prefer to have isolation. But since I got the HD280's for $74 out the door, and I can get the K240S for the same price, I may just go back today and get the K240S as well (two nice sets of cans for $150? c'mon... who wouldn't do that? that's the same price as a single pair of Beyer DT250's).

I really like the HD280's - I keep coming back to them. I just have to get them loosened up (forgot about the vice grip clamp until they loosen up and the pads soften up a bit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back