HD280 or HD555???
Feb 8, 2005 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AficionadoZone

New Head-Fier
OK, I came hear looking for a recommendation for cheap ear buds and now you've convinced me that I need something higher end as well. I searched this topic, but didn't find what I'm looking for. Can anyone comment on which phone wold be the better buy for a newbie? I know one is open and one closed, but which would sound better for all types of music (except rap)? I would be driving it with just a laptop or a mp3 player at some later date.

Great forum!

Best,
Robert

Feb 8, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 11
Hmmm well I suppose it depends on what you're going to be doing with them. Do you need, or would you like isolation? In a very quite environment the 555's will sound a bit better but the 280 is no slouch. The 280's also reproduce amazingly low bass. Either one is a good all around headphone and they are both driven fairly easily.

FWIW, both are known to have very long burn-in periods so I highly recommend you hold off your opinions of them for the first 300 or so hours.

Also, welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, and one other thing: You should be able to pick up the 280's for around $70 and I think the 555's are currently going for as low as $110.

Feb 8, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 11
I prefer open phones (555) whenever possible. In this case I also think 555 would give more details and HF extension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
You should be able to pick up the 280's for around $70

Where ? I wonder how they compare to Ultrasones but I'll ask in a separate thread.

Feb 8, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 11
My recommendation also goes to the HD555.

Feb 8, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 11
i love questions on cans ive heard! sorry

anyway

if you need closed get the 280s, nice cans.

if you dont need closed get the 555s, id say 20% nicer cans.

Feb 8, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiskik
i love questions on cans ive heard! sorry

anyway

if you need closed get the 280s, nice cans.

if you dont need closed get the 555s, id say 20% nicer cans.

Exactly. If you must have isolation get the 280, otherwise get the 555. I think the sonic signatures are very close, except the 280 bass extends lower. But the 555 has much better soundstage and a feeling of "air" around the instruments. The 555 also has an edge in comfort.

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
I prefer open phones (555) whenever possible. In this case I also think 555 would give more details and HF extension.

Where ? I wonder how they compare to Ultrasones but I'll ask in a separate thread.

You can get them for that price (if your negotiation skills are up to par) at Guitar Center.

Feb 9, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
You can get them for that price (if your negotiation skills are up to par) at Guitar Center.

LOL ... thanks ! I might be able to get it for $50 if I have the sales rep weakling in front of me.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I'm located far away from any gutar center shop though.

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #11 of 11
I havent heard the 555's, but Im with Jasper's take on the 280's. The bass is truly awesome on those cans; it goes ridiculously low and holds its own when digitally boosted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back