HD280 or D66 Eggo's
Apr 14, 2005 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Tohex

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy,

Just wondering what you guys reckon here. There seems to be good support more or less for both phones. I'll be using them for some travelling...plane/train...and also at home, cause i dont have any higher end full sized cans (just got some sharp Md33's....i rate em too btw :p)...but yeh...

I'll also be travelling to Europe from Austraia later this year..so i'll be wanting them for that also....that is a lot of listening...

Any comments/thoughts are welcome.
Thanks

Alucrep

Apr 14, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 22
I like my hd280s with blu-tack mod. Haven't heard the D66 eggos but there is a thread where everyone rated their headphones on a 1-10 scale and - from my count the hd280s got a 4 average while the eggos got 6.1.

I think if modded hd280s were compared with out of the box eggos it would be closer - but there is an eggo mod also for more bass.

So, I think it is Eggos as the winner - and they are smaller as well.

(again - I haven't heard the eggos).

Apr 14, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 22
Apr 14, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 22
Other results in closed / portable headphones (but, Commando's site probably has better information - you can compare)

7.5 Ety 4S ($219-closed )
7 Ety 4P ($219-closed)

7.5 UM2 ($275 ebay - closed)

6.1 Sony D66 Eggo ("semi closed" $90) - not as much isolation as others

5.5 Sennheiser HD25 (closed $150)

4 Sennheiser hd280 (closed $65-80 used)

(I think people's ratings were almost on any basis - looks, sound, conveninece, and some combination there of. For instance I think the HD25 and the HD280 are close in sound quality, but the hd25 is much more portable. www.Heaphonereviews.org tries to have everyone rate according to the same system.)

Apr 14, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 22
I don't like the reviews at headphonereviews.org and I don't know where you got all those other numbers from. I think comparing all headphones against one another is not a good method of comparison. If headphones costing thousands of dollars can't even get a rating above 9, how can you accurately rate more affordable headphones on the same scale. I'm pretty sure their 8+ rated headphones are often MUCH better than their 6-7 rated headphones. The EX81's are rated 7.1 while the D66 Eggo's get a 5.7 and the Eggos sound MUCH better than the EX81's. I think on a 1-10 scale with $7500 getting 8.4, EX81's should probably be getting a rating <3-4 or worse.

For all practical purposes headphones should only be compared with similar headphones, unless someone is looking to upgrade or trying to assess quality vs. price.

I think for your uses the Sony Eggos will be perfect. They are definitely small enough for portable use, and are very comfortable with extended wear. They're very easy and fun to listen to, but a little shy in the bass (BowerR64's mod helps this), they have great mids, and overall nice sound. Considering price/sound quality/portability I think these are very good headphones (if you don't want earbuds).

Apr 14, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 22
In defence of Commando's site and my referencing it - yes - as Commando says - it will be more useful once there are five to six reviews or more of every headphone. The eggos have only one review and the sony EX81s rating is way way off.

So, yes you have to take these into account. Commando has some other controls in place but doesn't want to censor anyone with a lot of experience. (The ex81 is an aberration that he may have to deal with I think, though he likes them).

I still think the site is usefull as a sign pointing you to which reviews on headfi to read thoroughly.

But, this argument is on another thread so I will stop.

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 22
The other numbers I came up with are from a thread titled something like "on a scale of 1-10 rate your headphones"

I then averaged all ratings.

But, again - these figures are even more susceptible to being off than the reviews site. They are just a guy on the street giving directions who forgot to say "be sure to look at your map though" meaning - read through a number of reviews on headfi!

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by alucrep
Howdy,

Just wondering what you guys reckon here. There seems to be good support more or less for both phones. I'll be using them for some travelling...plane/train...and also at home, cause i dont have any higher end full sized cans (just got some sharp Md33's....i rate em too btw :p)...but yeh...

I'll also be travelling to Europe from Austraia later this year..so i'll be wanting them for that also....that is a lot of listening...

Any comments/thoughts are welcome.
Thanks

Alucrep

The 280s will have better isolation. The eggos only cover the top of the ear with fabric, and not around the entire ear. The upside is that the eggos are smaller. They're probably a little more fragile too. 280s look like tanks in comparison. Sorry can't comment on sound, haven't tried the 280s. The one thing I would look for would be a bass comparison.

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
The eggos only cover the top of the ear with fabric, and not around the entire ear. The upside is that the eggos are smaller.

huh? your entire ear goes inside the eggos

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
huh? your entire ear goes inside the eggos

I've been using them rested on the back of my ear. Seemed more natural for me. It stuffing the flap of my ear into the cup itself improves isolation, then it's good to know.

*new observations: omg i have big ears. mental or not, burned-in eggos seem to give me more bass impact. Upgraditus cured for now.

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 22
Thanks guys...probably going for eggo's at the moment...yeh i don't mind the earbuds but i also want some cans, just for a bit of a diff. feel and sound.

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 22
gshan - You have been wearing your Eggos on top of your ears?!?!?! HAHAHAHA! That's pretty funny. Do you have REALLY large ears or what? I'm pretty sure that you could fit some very large ears inside of the Eggo's due to their design (your ear cartilage is actually between the driver and the inside ofthe pad not just the pad around the ear). Wearing my Eggo's "on" my ears as you were, they sound much, much worse, and are very uncomfortable. It must be like a new pair of heaphones for you now. They are very comfortable when worn correctly. With burn-in and BowerR64's bass mod they sound very good with just enough bass.

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
gshan - You have been wearing your Eggos on top of your ears?!?!?! HAHAHAHA! That's pretty funny. Do you have REALLY large ears or what? I'm pretty sure that you could fit some very large ears inside of the Eggo's due to their design (your ear cartilage is actually between the driver and the inside ofthe pad not just the pad around the ear). Wearing my Eggo's "on" my ears as you were, they sound much, much worse, and are very uncomfortable. It must be like a new pair of heaphones for you now. They are very comfortable when worn correctly. With burn-in and BowerR64's bass mod they sound very good with just enough bass.

I've done the stuffing thing. As I said, I've been wearing them resting on my ears because it's simply more comfortable. The driver is still over my ear either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back