HD25's or SR80's for portable rig?
Jan 19, 2009 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Specialzed

Head-Fier
Which of these would be better for hip hop, general techno and portablility? Which are more comfortable? I can get them each for about the same price so which would be the better buy?

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 40
Where are you getting HD-25's that cheap? And as a Grado owner, I would say that their closed design would make the HD-25's a better choice. Not having worn them, however, I can not comment on the comfort level of the HD-25.

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 40
what ^^^^^ said
i've tried the HD-25 IIs, they're not all that comfortable, but I have a big head and big ears. Otherwise though, I think it's just what you're looking for. Strong bass and portability.

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 40
HD 25 1 II owner chiming in. They feel lighter and are more sturdy (especially if you exploit the split-headband) than the SR-80s, so they'd be better for walking around with, etc. If you use public transportation, you'll appreciate the HD25's isolation abilities. Not as good as IEMs or NCs, but pretty darned good (and that's with the velour pads. Have yet to try the pleather, but it should be better). They're not as "portable" as the SR80s if by "portable" you mean "easy to pack in a bag." They're not foldable, and you can't lie them flat. This is sometimes a pain. They're a little too big to hang discretely around my neck (unlike my old K26Ps), but I'm a small guy. I don't listen to your kind of music, but I imagine the bass impact on these should satisfy you. Hope that helps.

PS: Are you sure the ones you looked at are not the HD25 SPs? Does seem a bit cheap for HD25s proper...

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 40
The HD25-1 sounds fantastic (ya as Oya? said, make sure you're not looking at the SP version). I owned a pair and they are my #1 choice for portable use. Cable upgrade options are vast and easy too. As others have said they can become a little uncomfortable over long listening sessions, but its a very secure fit and very good seal to isolate the sound.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 40
The HD25's I'm looking at are the SP's. They aren't the same thing with a different headband?

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 40
Also another thing to note is I spend alot of time at my computer making beats on FL Studio. I guess I kinda want a do it all headphone for now until im ready to really drop some cash on some quality headphones for each category.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specialzed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD25's I'm looking at are the SP's. They aren't the same thing with a different headband?

I think the drivers are also different. It's a bit hard to get a side-by-side between the 2 versions since most people go for one or the other. I've not listened to the SP, but for what it's worth, I have a hunch that the SP version would still sound pretty good. Either way, any Grado phone isn't suitable for portable use; it doesn't attenuate outside noise at all, it leaks sound and annoys everyone around you, and the fit is quite loose so it might slide around if you're moving your head a lot.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 40
I think the HD 25-1 II is a superior headphone to the SR-80 in just about every way, from sound quality to portability.

The HD 25 SP, on the other hand, is not the same. If that's the choice, I'd recommend the SR-80.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #14 of 40
I kinda like the hd 25 sp. They sound a lot less muddy with some damping material in the back of the cups. The treb and bass extension also increases when I swap the steel cable with that of the hd580.

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #15 of 40
How would you rank the K81Dj's compared to the HD25-SP? In my opinion they could be an attractive alternative considering their price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back