Hd25-SP vs HD 25
Jun 22, 2006 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Francisco

100+ Head-Fier
Hello gentlemen,

Are these similar sound-wise? With all this hype about the KSC.75 I'm thinking of buying one but is it worth it given that I already own the PX100?

Also, what are the best options for closed circum-aural or supra-aural headphones under 70euros?

Thanks in advance,

Francisco

Jun 25, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 11
I have no idea what question you're asking.
confused.gif

For me, PX100 > KSC-75, and HD-25 > HD-25-SP. I wouldn't compare the latter pair to the former, since that's a real apples and oranges situation.

Jun 25, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 11
The HD25 costs twice as much as the HD25sp.

I have the HD25sp, I'd say it's great for hard rock like Tool. It has great bass, that's what I love best about it. The mids and highs are a bit recessed.

The bass also makes them great phones for listening to rap.

Jun 26, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 11
I've never heard the Hd-25SP, but I got the HD-25 over it because the cord was short. I know that's a terrible reason to spend twice as much dough, but I wanted it for portable use. THe SPs cable is really long. That simple.

Jul 25, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jparris1
I've never heard the Hd-25SP, but I got the HD-25 over it because the cord was short. I know that's a terrible reason to spend twice as much dough, but I wanted it for portable use. THe SPs cable is really long. That simple.

I have a few friends who DJ and whom I consider quite knowledgeable in all things audio. They tell me that the HD-25 is the shizzle, and not to bother with the HD25SP as it is far inferior, hence the price difference between the two.

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #10 of 11
IMO (I have owned all and listened extensively to) HD25-1 > HD25-BA > HD25-SP

I can't believe I missed this topic for so long. The HD25-1 I find comparable to the BA with a nice upgrade cable. Now for the most part I'm not a big fan of upgraded cables, but for some reason the steel just doesn't do the drivers justice.

They all have a similar sonic signature, but the 25-11 improves mostly in the dynamics. The SP has a recessed midrange, a bit of a muddy top-end, decent midbass but poor low extension. The BA combats this with a 300ohm impedance which enhances bass response considerably. Harder to drive, but with a nicer sound. The midbass becomes a tad over-bloated, the mids come out a bit and the top end remains muddy. The 25-1 is at the top of the heap, with much better extension and control on both ends. It is by far the clearest of the 3. The treble is much better defined, the mids are still relatively recessed, the midbass is controlled better and the bass is handled lower and with more control. The soundstaging is virtually identical between the 3, but there is a perception of a greater staging in the 25-1, most likely because of the clarity.

Personally I ended up with the 25-1 and I dont regret it. Alas I'm selling them as I have to buy a new car and cannot afford such toys as a student. I'll miss them as much as I do my DT990.

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 11
I've owned both (at the same time). The HD25-SP is relatively neutral, with darkish highs. The HD25-1 has boosted (but not overbearing) bass, and clearer, more extended highs.

Nearly everybody will like the HD25-1 better, most of the time. I find the sound very "involving" on pop, rock, jazz and the like. It's really enjoyable. However I think the HD25-SP is the better can for classical, for solo piano, or for any other genre where a boosted midbass throws the balance of the music out of whack.

The HD25-1 is easier to drive. The HD25-SP benefits more from an amp, which helps lighten its darkish presentation.

I frankly think it's a pity that the two have similar names, because it inevitably leads to them being compared, with the HD25-SP coming out behind. Yet taken on its own, the HD25-SP is a good little <$100 closed headphone; before the advent of the K81DJ I would have suggested it to anybody as the best <$100 closed portable out there. In fact I like its sound better than that of the HD280 except when the latter is driven by a good home amp.

Other details: they offer pretty much the same level of noise isolation. The HD25-1 is more comfortable, having far better headband padding plus that spiffy adjustable split headband. It also will do a better job of staying on your head if you use it while exercising or something. The HD25-SP packs down smaller and is less conspicuous on the head. The HD25-SP comes with a 3-meter two-sided cord with straight plug, and the HD25-1 comes with a 1.5-meter one-sided (right-side, which is unusual) cord with a right-angle plug.

Of the two, the HD25-1 is much more like a closed version of your PX100. The HD25-SP is, well, a little like a better PX200: good-sounding, but dull compared to the HD25-1 or PX100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back