HD25 + OFC Cable: A Simple Solution
Feb 23, 2005 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

paspro

100+ Head-Fier
There has been some discussion regarding the replacement of the steel cable of the Sennheiser HD25 with a higher quality copper OFC one. I came up with a simple solution for replacing this cable with some other Sennheiser OFC cable. The main problem is the fact that the original steel cable has different lenghts for the right and left leads. However, the construction of the HD25 allows the use of a common Sennheiser OFC cable by wrapping the right lead around the part of the headphone where the cable is attached. This becomes clear in the photos that follows

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It looks nice, doesn't it?

By replacing the cable I noticed the following improvements:

1. The sound is more powerful and smooth.
2. There is more detail, especially in the mid and high frequencies.

Give it a try!

Feb 23, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 14
I read a very early review recently on the HD-25 and the rap on the headphones was cable reliability in the pro environment.It seems the cable was not strong enough to stand up to the daily abuse of the professional studio and they were pulling out and fraying so Sennheiser added the steel to strengthen the cord for reliability purposes.

Never really meant as a Hi-Fi headphone the corporate HD-25 choices went to reliability over audiophile likes or dislikes because that is the main target market...

Maybe Sennheiser should offer an HD-25H" model with the H standing for the "Hi Fi" version.Most of us don't beat the crap out of our headphones so a less "beefy" cable should work just fine.

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 14
That looks nice. How do you keep the wound cable from coming loose and getting all "sloppy" again? Did you have to glue it or does it just stay in place on its own?

Feb 24, 2005 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rnd
That looks nice. How do you keep the wound cable from coming loose and getting all "sloppy" again? Did you have to glue it or does it just stay in place on its own?

It stays on its own because after wrapping the cable around the attachment unit I put it under the screws and then plugged it into the right can. If you look at the first picture you will notice that there are three leads under the screws! There is space for all three of them so no glue is required while the wound cable cannot unwrap itself or become loose.

Feb 24, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 14
Interestings, seems viable. So, which cable did you actually use, paspro?

thx, - walkman666

Feb 24, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
Interestings, seems viable. So, which cable did you actually use, paspro?

thx, - walkman666

I used the cable of my old HD480 II but I guess any Sennheiser OFC cable can do the job.

Oct 1, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 14
Yay for bumping up ancient threads!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether this cable (H-37974/PX-4) terminates to a 1/8" or 1/4" jack. I was also wondering if the cord was horrifically long. I'm looking for the most portable cable upgrade to my HD25 and came across this.

According to Sennheiser USA's website, this cable was used in the following headphones: HD222, HD250, HD250II, HD414, HD414Classic, HD414-SL, HD420/420-SL, HD424, HD430, HD440 II, HD442II, HD450/450II, HD480, HD480II, HD490(2 sided cable), HD520, HD520II, HD530, HD530II, HD540, HD540II, HD560II

So if you've owned one of them, kindly tell me what the termination was and I'll thank you.

Oct 1, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 14
I believe this is the same cable.

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw7_sennhei..._prodinfo.html

It says 3 meters long mini plug and 2x mini anslu

edit- i wasn't done yet
mad.gif

2 x Mini-Anschluß which means the plugs that go into the headphones.
Lets me just search if the plugs are named the same for the hd25.

now I'm done .
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 14
Many many thanks. I do believe that it's the same cable. It is long, but that's the price to pay.

Sennheiser USA's shop doesn't respond well to links, but the cable can be found by going through shop-> parts then to HD480 II (or any of those other headphones)->cable at www.sennheiserusa.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back