hd25 an upgrade to Westone 3?
Jun 29, 2012 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

brenttw

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently only an IEM user having the Westone 3 (love these the most for isolation and low microphonic cable while walking), also have the Monster Tribute (best fun headphone i own).  Another IEM i've owned were the HF3, but sold because they were too analytical for me.  

Question is my Westone 3s are fairly expensive ($350 new, $250 used), would getting something like the HD25 be an upgrade to the W3's or is it not worth the money?  I just read a lot of good reviews about the HD25 and it might be a sound signature i like but not sure if its not worth the money of getting them since i already own the W3.   

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:
I am currently only an IEM user having the Westone 3 (love these the most for isolation and low microphonic cable while walking), also have the Monster Tribute (best fun headphone i own).  Another IEM i've owned were the HF3, but sold because they were too analytical for me.  

Question is my Westone 3s are fairly expensive ($350 new, $250 used), would getting something like the HD25 be an upgrade to the W3's or is it not worth the money?  I just read a lot of good reviews about the HD25 and it might be a sound signature i like but not sure if its not worth the money of getting them since i already own the W3.   

It looks like you can get the Wesone UM3X(RC) for $251 on the Westone site.
Just a heads up.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

It looks like you can get the Wesone UM3X(RC) for $251 on the Westone site.
Just a heads up.

I was thinking of staying away from IEMs from this next purchase.  I guess the saying “curiosity killed the cat” is true.  The Westone 3s were going to be used for my primary use, but head-fi has made me wonder if I can achieve more with cans.  I wanted something still fairly portable like the HD25, but since it is cheaper than my current Westone, was wondering if they’ll sound any better?  Don’t want something big and bulky and was hoping not needing to amp.  I’ve used the ATH-M50s and I liked them, but they got my ears to sweaty.  If the HD25s are recommended as better sounding over the Westone 3s I might even consider the new Sennheiser Amperior as it’s easier to drive with my ipod/iphone and I would assume wouldn’t gain much from an amp (would need to read more about this though).

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 22
Not owned the 3's but have owned the 2's as well as the hd25's.  Fwiw the isolation on the westones are superior (no surprise there!)to the hd25's.  They (westones) are also lighter and easier to wear for longer periods.  I have been using the senns quite a bit lately (few hours each day at work) and I'm always aware that I've been wearing them after a couple of hours if that makes any sense (fatigue, etc).  Where the senns score over the westones is that they are easier to take on and off in a hurry.

Cheers.

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:
Not owned the 3's but have owned the 2's as well as the hd25's.  Fwiw the isolation on the westones are superior (no surprise there!)to the hd25's.  They (westones) are also lighter and easier to wear for longer periods.  I have been using the senns quite a bit lately (few hours each day at work) and I'm always aware that I've been wearing them after a couple of hours if that makes any sense (fatigue, etc).  Where the senns score over the westones is that they are easier to take on and off in a hurry.

Cheers.

Ya your last sentence is one of the few reasons i wanted cans (fast on and off), but if im not really upgrading in sound then i'll deal with the slow on/off to save a couple hundred bucks.  Do you notice an improvement of the hd25s compared to your W2s?

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 22
Don't have the w2's atm, but it's a different signature (and I believe from what I have been reading on headfi anyway)to both the w3 (which I haven't heard) and the hd25.  The hd25 is more lively when it comes to rock music.  However the only complaint I had about the 2 was that it needed a "tad" more bass and it'd be the perfect iem for me anyway.

Cheers.

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 22
comfort may be a factor here as well. The HD25s i tried were well used and a couple years old. They clamp surprisingly hard on your head.

If you just want some headphones that will sound good, for desk/home use, you might consider some of the open-back around-ear full size phones as well.

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
comfort may be a factor here as well. The HD25s i tried were well used and a couple years old. They clamp surprisingly hard on your head.

If you just want some headphones that will sound good, for desk/home use, you might consider some of the open-back around-ear full size phones as well.

they will most likely be used for multiple uses.  Main purpose will probably be at home use, but would also like the portability and option to bring and wear to work.

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 22
Hmm,

I think it'd be a good idea to see if you can audition some HD-25s before deciding, just in regard to the clamping force they have.

If isolating isn't important at all, open-backs are good bang/buck performers around $200 as well.

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
Hmm,

I think it'd be a good idea to see if you can audition some HD-25s before deciding, just in regard to the clamping force they have.

If isolating isn't important at all, open-backs are good bang/buck performers around $200 as well.

isolation was fairly important to me, that as well as easy to drive so i dont need to carry around an amp with me to work.  ya i havent heard of any place in hawaii that offers a place to audition, i guess ill google and see what i can find.  head-fi hasn't steered me wrong yet in any recommendations!  was hoping this was an easy question to answer lol.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 22
I know this isn't an HD25 vs. UM2 solution, but I did recently have the Vmoda M-80. Although it was a great sounding headphone I sent it back and kept my UM2-R if that tells you anything. the Westones isolate really well, they're super comfortable, and they have a perfect sound signature that I love(Westone house sound is a little warm compared to others).
I have grown to really appreciate the UM2-R.
Now with that said I have not heard the HD25

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
I know this isn't an HD25 vs. UM2 solution, but I did recently have the Vmoda M-80. Although it was a great sounding headphone I sent it back and kept my UM2-R if that tells you anything. the Westones isolate really well, they're super comfortable, and they have a perfect sound signature that I love(Westone house sound is a little warm compared to others).
I have grown to really appreciate the UM2-R.
Now with that said I have not heard the HD25

ah got it, thanks.  ya i really like my W3, good highs, just enough bass, but when i want something more fun sounding i grab my MDT. 

I guess im just always under the impression i can get more with cans, guess i really need to listen to some.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
guess i really need to listen to some.

That's probably your best bet.
Order the HD-25 from Amazon. They have a great return policy if they're not your cup of tea.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #15 of 22
Don't know if you are still interested, but I will throw in my opinion.

I had the UM 2s, the original non detachable cable ones. Got the hd25s because I kept getting interrupted at work... Was spending all my time taking them off and back on, rather than listening to music.

Sound-wise, after the senns, couldn't go back to the Westones... The senns are much more fun... I would say the Westones "became" too laid back for me. Having said that, I don't have the same issue at work, and after two years want to get back to iems due to the weight in my bag... But can't stand the lack of liveliness of the um2s. If you prefer a more lively, puncher sound, do try the senns... More comfortable to take on and off, but bulkier.

Now I want iems that sound like the senns... Can anyone make a recommendation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back